chapter 21

Wei Chao and Wei Ding Xiang stood then cupped their hands, "Greetings imperial father, Empress mother and Noble Consort Li" 

Wei Qing smiled, "Greetings children, see your here to have tea with your baby sister" 

Wei Ding Xiang felt sceptical as he looked at his cold father who smiled, Wei Ding Xiang was a child favoured by the emperor and with that favour comes great expectations and responsibility.

Wei Qing looked at Wei Ding Xiang, from the Golden coloured hair to his emerald eyes. It was really pretty. It was expected he got good genes after all. They all sat around the table where Wei Yong served lotus and flower cakes that she made. Wei Chao looked at his younger sister who was excited for this big day. 

Wei Qing drew back his sleeves as he ate the flower cakes. It tasted a bit standoffish, it could have used more time in the oven and it was too sweet. Are these servants amateurs?

He then looked at Wei Yong, "did you make these cakes, he asked curiously" 

She smiled happily, "yes! It's my first time trying so what do you think father!" She chirps 

The emperor chuckled, "with less sugar and more time you shall head down the road of success" he said, drinking the tea that was poured for him.

Wei Yong smiled, "father is filled with such wise words I shall take that with great consideration" 

The Noble Consort held her mouth at the very sweet cake, she looked at the others who felt the same about the cakes but it was only the emperor and empress who were unphase by its sweetness. 

Wei Ding Xiang looked at his imperial father, why hadn't he rebuked her for the bad cakes? Whenever he made mistakes he'd be scolded then ignored for many days to come.

His father was a great man who he should strive to become, that's what his mother told him.

"Father, mother, I've also made poems!" She said 

The Empress looked at the paper blankly, it was normal as if her mother was harsh but rather cold. Wei Yong wanted to impress him most in the world so she can be perfect just like her beautiful mother. She was told from young that she should keep up with the imperial status that no man will be worth her and she should always remain dignified and great like her parents.

Reading the empress nods, "you should work on your characters more, and I hope you are keeping up with your studies?" He spoke

A rush of disappointment flows over her body, her smile went blank as she held her head down. "R-right" 

Wei Qing turned to the empress gently touching the back of his hand, "my empress too harsh" 

The Empress looked at him with a straight face, "she is a princess, this Dynasty will not care care for it" the empress stated 

Wei Qing bit his lip, "but why not let her have her fun now, she will not have any other wise. A'Yong is only a child who wants to impress her mother" Wei Qing said gently.

The empress sighed, he looked at Wei Yong who seemed on the verge of tears. "More practice, your characters or a mess but I understand" 

Wei Qing looked at the princess who then smiled, "of course mother!" 

Wei Chao smiled seeing his little sister smile, their mother was strict and distant from them and the fact their mother was perfect as the empress didn't make him any less easier to approach.

And most of their interactions were not intimate, it made Wei Chao wonder if their mother loves them. The Empress didn't say much and just casually ate the tea and snacks. 

Even Wei Qing couldn't eat any more of the sweet cake that felt as though it would suck all the water from his body.

After enjoying tea it was time for them to leave when Wei Ding Xiang approached him, "imperial father," 

Wei Qing looked at Wei Ding Xiang, "yes".

"If you don't mind….. I'd like for my achievements to be awarded" 

"Achievements?" 

Wei Qing thinks indeed Wei Ding Xiang was a hard working Child with some great achievements. If Wei Qing was not mistaken, this one wants to be like him. 

"Yes, for successfully hunting a bear on my own and capturing the leader of human trafficking organisations." Wei Qing said 

Wei Qing thinks didn't Wei Chao recently went to Meng region and did something similar, it was technically the same organisations which caused the previous him to send out soldiers but his sons were yet to be rewarded. 

"I understand, is there anything you'd like?" 

"Well, I'd like to receive his imperial Majesty's bow, Zhèngyì" 

Everyone else looked at him with shock, but he remained unphased.

Wei Qing looked at him strongly, "are you aware of what you ask for?" 

"Yes" 

"I see," Wei Qing turned his head containing

The Empress looked at Wei Ding Xiang then at his son then closed his eyes to continue.