Chapter One

Now

Fame has ruined every relationship I've ever had. Torn apart with each photo, video - story - that breeds lies and hatred between those I love.

I am the most famous I have ever been. I am the loneliest I have ever been.

They didn't tell me this when I went to the auditions. I wasn't given an insight when I met other people whose faces I'd watched on screen for years and years in real life. I have learnt this the hard way. Learnt that fame is like a rotting apple, it's so shiny on the outside, so dark within.

No one told me how lonely I'd be.

Then

"Congratulations Tom" my acting teacher, Rob, was the first person I told that I got the part. I guess all acting teachers hope that one day their student will be one of the few, not one of the many. God knows how many people I studied with all these years that will no doubt be struggling all their lives, just like I expected to.

My parents didn't want me to do it, not really. They had a kind of sad look in their eye when I told them I wanted to go to RADA, a look that told me they didn't quite believe in this as a career option.

Until yesterday, when I got the call that I know will change my life. I got the part, the one that I would have once only have dreamt of. I got the superhero part. Me, a nobody from south London, with only a few movie credits to my name - I'm going to be the next Spiderman.

The day since I found out has been a tad overwhelming, I've had to turn my phone of because of all the old friends that have come out of the woodwork to congratulate me. Even a guy that once pushed me into a bin - suddenly saying 'we should meet for drinks?'. My mum was worried about this, about the reality of taking on such a big global role, how would it impact me? I'm lucky in that sense, I've got them, got my brothers and got some fucking great best friends too. I think I'll be okay. At least that's what I hope.

"Darling" my Mum rushes into my room, "they're on the phone, apparently they can't reach you?" she looks at me with a stern look. "I turned my phone off" I explained over my playstation noises, I was numbing myself with a classic game of FIFA. "Quickly" she pressed, "they called the home phone". I rush downstairs to get it, wondering where the urgency has come from or what they need from me already.

"Hello Tom speaking" I say politely, unaware of who exactly is on the other end of the phone. "Tom, it's Portia from MC, congratulations again" she said in a fast American tone. "Thank you" I said, smiling for what feels like the millionth time. "Things are about to go a little crazy for you, we need you to fly to New York and meet up with our press & people team - before any of it starts, we want to help you prepare. The week will finish up with some initial press before shooting starts. Okay?"

I don't think I have a choice really, but I mean getting flown to New York really isn't that much of a hassle now is it? "Yes of course, how does it work, like how will I know where to go and when?", my naivety may be showing but I don't have enough money in the bank right now to fly to New York on my own. "Oh we have our travel team sort that all out, you'll get an email with a full itinery, flight details, car information and classified hotel info. We've added a plus one for you, can you confirm who you'd be bringing by the end of the day?"

"Um yeah, sure" I reply, realising that having more than one sibling really complicates things like this - I cant play favourites.

When I hang up my mum is watching me intently, waiting for the information that I've just gathered. I explain the reason for the call and her face lights up, she is so excited for me, that is for sure. I make a quick decision on who is coming with me when she asks, keeping it safe, "You of course". The smile that I get in return tells me I have made the right decision. All those years of waiting around for me and paying for all the things I wanted to do, she deserves a bit of this now, that I know.