Chapter 6

Now

I've been waiting for her to come back into my room after our new press briefing, we were all listening, but nothing is new. We're going to play more random games tomorrow, quizzes, answer questions that aren't just about Spiderman - try and get a better chemistry going between the three of us. It's a fucking obvious way of him telling us that we aren't gelling right now - and I wonder if he realises that it's because of me.

I turn the TV on to act as some type of distraction from me just fucking staring at the door, it's a bit creepy that I am wanting to will her into the room isn't it? Surely she cant text me back and then not speak to me again until tomorrow? How could she sleep with this question mark between us?

The re-run of friends is a good distraction, I'll give it that. But now that an episode has gone and passed, I will admit that I'm feeling a little disheartened. The darkness from before is filling back into the space that the light she brought with her response.

My phone buzzes in my hand.

'I'll come back when the nosy nellies next door are gone. Text me when you hear them leave?'

She's coming back. I'm going to get a resolution to the torture. I just might. Thank fuck. I've never text a girl back so quick in my life. 'Will do. Want me to order room service?'

'Mac & Cheese please' is all she replies and I smile, I knew she'd want it. At least I remember something.

The moment I hear them close the door to the suite next door and watch them all walk down the corridor through the peep hole on my door I shoot her a text immediately. I've never been so eager in my life but the foods arriving shortly and I just need to know where we stand. I'm not even embarrassed to admit that I've showered, put on some fresh cologne and a jumper that I remember her complimenting me on before.

Her knock is mouselike, as if she's hoping that no one is looking from their peep holes either - I open the door quickly and she slithers inside. I get a strong hit of her perfume, so maybe I'm not the only one trying to remind the other what they're missing. It's the strongest scent and it's the most addictive, it makes me instantly want to kiss her.

"Food should be here in ten" I say as she walks to the sofa.

"Cool, I'm not allowed to leave either by the way - this Mac and Cheese is the only thing keeping me sane right now" she says, she moves her hair in a way that reveals her neck to me in an appealing way. I've only kissed it once but that once was memorable enough.

I feel like it's my place to start, to pick back up the conversation we were having and to ensure she realises what really happened that day. "I should have reached out to you sooner, I should have text you explaining everything - but after everything happened, and then the media spiralled - I went dark - as you know. I started that day on cloud 9, preparing myself for a date with you, ordering all the food, making sure everything was private and perfect. That night was one of the darkest"

Z looks at me innocently, her eyes are soft as she waits for me to continue. I move to sit on the bed whilst I explain. "I went to RADA with her, Harriet - and just after I landed Spiderman she and I went on a few dates. In hindsight, there was only one reason that she suddenly became interested in me again but I was too niave to see it. Anyway, during the break she asked me to go to dinner with her and - well you know the rest of the story. She wanted to be famous so badly Z that she set the whole thing up. I mean look at where it's got her - it's worked, but she literally walked all over me - I was too blind to see the reality, Haz fucking told me"

I sighed as I recall the pain of realising how manipulative she'd been when I'd already started falling for Z, how easily she'd used our history to pull me back in for just one evening. "I know we weren't dating or anything, when you went back to England - but the fact that it all came out that day, it just was too hard" she said softly, "I was so disappointed".