𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑋𝑉𝐼𝐼𝐼

~Fated~

~Fated~

Marie filled Constance's days with joy. Her heart was filled with love for the tiny human she and Ned had created and she knew that she would not hesitate to die for her daughter if needed. Sometimes she could not believe that she was real, that this little angel that rolled around shrieking with laughter, gripping her tiny toes, was a figment of her imagination.

But that could not be, Edward adored her, her Godparents doted on her, George and Dickon were fascinated by her, just as they had been by James!

They often joined Constance in the nursery when Marie was awake like when they were boys, watching her, finding new ways to make her laugh. The elder was more reserved in his affections, determined to appear a man at fifteen, but Dickon took delight in playing with their niece!

Life was happy for Constance, or it would've been, if the Woodvilles ceased to exist at court.

They divided into their own faction, their own court of sorts but none joined them in it, they were hated. The love for Queen Constance was strong, despite her faliure to produce a son and none of the nobility took kindly to those who slighted her but none could touch the Woodvilles, not while they had the King's favour and have it they did.

Elizabeth paraded around almost as if she were Queen, her entourage of extensive kin behind her as she waltzed about court, cradling her swelling belly proudly. She dressed in the most gaudy style most had ever seen, bright silks and satins from foreign continents, shining jewels as big as a fist around her neck.

The demands she made of Edward became ever and evermore lucrative, evermore expensive for the royal treasury, more so than the Queen's expenses had ever been! 

Elizabeth used pleasure to get what she wanted, sex and her undeniable charm. The coaxing gaze of her blue eyes could convince Edward to do her bidding as if she were King and each time she went to his bed, she would emerge with yet more gold for her to spend or a position for her family. The Lords especially resented her for it.

Her Father had been made an Earl and treasurer (all the better for her expensive exploits), her brother Lionel had been made a bishop, her brother Anthony admiral of the royal fleet and her brother John married a Duchess of all people!

There were no such gifts for other families, in particular the Nevilles, who, in a way, had a right to expect such things for their part in helping the Yorks win the throne but they were left to simply exist by the King.

This had enraged them, to no one's surprise, and in January of 1466, Warwick left the court, taking George, and his family with him! Even faithful Dickon departed, going to stay with his Mother at Baynards when she left before he headed North. Constance was sad to lose them, Isabel was her newest lady in waiting, Annie her protégé and the York brothers her allies. Now they were all gone and she was left to the Woodville wolves.