𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑋𝑋𝑋𝑉𝐼𝐼

~Across the Narrow Sea~

Two weeks later....

Constance was tucked sweetly against Edward's side when their son's quiet cries roused her from the chamber next door. It was only early in the morning, she estimated groggily, forcing her eyes open to see the bedchamber filled with an amber glow instead of the blazing glare of daylight. Strange, she thought, Edward usually slept as soundly as his Father!

His cries stirred the exiled King and tilting her head up, Constance kissed his cheek.
"I will go" She whispered. He groaned his assent, throwing an arm over his eyes to protect them from the dawn and she chuckled, pulling herself away from the warmth of his body to stand.

Reaching for the grey silk robe Margaret had gifted her, she draped it over her nightgown, glancing back at her husband's dozing form before she left. Edward's mewling cries echoed through the walls and her heart ached as she crept into the nursery to see her boy sitting up in his crib - face screwed up, reddened, tears streaming down his chubby cheeks, tiny legs kicking unhappily.

"Oh my darling" She was by his side in seconds, lifting him into her arms with a coo and a kiss, the warm weight of his body making her heart light up despite his whimpers "Là, mon amour, qu'est-ce que c'est?" 'There, my love, what is it?'

The young boy babbled, soothed with the familiar bounce of her arms and rubbed his damp face against her shoulder. One little hand found her hair, curling decidedly around the soft strands and Constance knew she would not be going back to bed that morn.

Sighing, her fingers trailed over his head, brushing back the golden strands from his eyes. Her sweet boy. Her perfect boy. Perhaps they could sit in their courtyard awhile? They'd spent many hours sat beneath the little apple tree, he on her lap, smiling, reaching to the blooming leaves above!

"Gostaria de ver os birdies da manhã?" 'Would you like to see the morning birdies?' She asked, already walking from the room and Edward grizzled a reply into her neck, sniffing sweetly "Yes, my love, I know" Descending the stairs into the hall, she found the large space unusually silent but not eerily so.

Most of the time at least two would occupy the long table, playing chess or counting how many coins they had but in the early morning, it was deserted.

It was peaceful - almost homely.
Almost.

Now calm, Edward looked around curiously, turning his little head from side to side to seek out the people he lived with. When none were to be found, a frown tugged at his plump lips and he looked up at his Mother; questioning.