𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝐿𝑋𝐼𝑋

~Dying Embers, Rising Flames~

The door creaked open an hour after the dowager Queen's screams had ceased and she was a sorrowful sight. Her hair was loose, a mess around her face, her skin was alabaster, eyes puffy and red, cheeks streaked with tears. Her footsteps were slow and she gave not one glance to the Lords who awaited her - the children having long been herded away by Beth as soon as their Mother's grief began.

James wished to go to her as he bowed with the rest, to wrap his arms around her but resisted for fear that if he touched her she would shatter into a new river of tears and he knew she had to retain every sliver of strength she had left in that moment. Not only for herself but her position, a Queen Regent had to be as strong as any King; without weakness.

He could see her lips faintly moving, trying to form words, sounds, and failing as she stared at the ornate tiles beneath her feet. Tiles she and Edward had trodden together for twenty three years.

"The King is...."

Her voice was lower than a whisper and James was sure not even half the Lords had heard it when she faltered, fists clenching at her sides in a desperate effort not to cry.

"The King....."

Her voice was a little louder this time but nonetheless faded into the intoxicating silence filling the palace.

She shook her head, closing her eyes and, from beneath them, two tears glided slowly down her cheeks before she opened them, forcing her chin to rise.

"The King is dead....long live the King!" She cried and all the men immediately went down upon their knees, bowing their heads.
"Long live the King!" They bellowed.
James stood.

"And long live the Queen Regent!"

Her eyes caught his.
A moment of silence passed and then....

"Long live the Queen Regent!" The Lords boomed and James strode up to his sister, bending down on one knee and kissing her hand.
"I pledge my allegiance to you, to God and the realm's mighty sovereign Lord, King Edward the fifth!"

Will was quick to join him and, as soon as he stood, knelt at Constance's skirts, kissing her hand and repeating the same words, fulfilling his friend's wishes. The other Lords followed, each kissing her hand and pledging their allegiance but James wasn't sure his sister heard them, or saw them for that matter. She seemed blind to all but her grief - despite the small nods of acknowledgment she gave.

"Come, your grace" He said once all the Lords had spoken and knelt, offering his arm "Allow me to escort you to your chambers" She nodded silently, placing a limp hand around his elbow and let him guide her ghost into the gloom of the palace halls.