𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝐿𝑋𝐼

~Namesake~

~Namesake~

19th of August 1476, Fotheringhay Castle....

A sob escaped Constance as she took in shaky breaths, gripping onto the back of the birthing chair as she laboured to bring her twelfth child into the world. The strands of hair that had escaped her messy braid stuck to her face, coated in sweat and tears and the icy water her Ladies dabbed across her skin.

"Only an hour and a half since your labours began and already the babe seems ready to greet the world!" Florence said happily, taking Constance's arm and helping her to the front of the birthing chair "Sit, your grace"

"Thank you, Florence" She replied shakily, one hand rubbing over her belly as the other clawed her shift to her waist and a midwife knelt between her legs "Lord you are right, this little one is eager" She gritted her teeth, biting out an animalistic groan as another contraction tore through her belly, forcing her head back.

"All is well, sister" Beth whispered, wiping her forehead with a fresh cloth doused in cold water "Just think of it as a blessing that after so many babes your labours are thoroughly shortened, I know I do"
"I know I hope" Lizzy murmured, only ever having given birth to her dear Anne.
"And your hope will be rewarded" Isabella told her, pressing another cold cloth to the Queen's neck and chest "There now, Con, does that feel better?"

Constance gave a small nod, squeezing her eyes tightly shut as her body forced her to push and she let out a scream, hands clutching at the birthing chair.
"Margaret?" Beth called as Margaret placed down freshly fetched towels on the bed "Would you pray? You know how it soothes her to hear them"

"Of course!" Margaret returned and hurried to the prie-dieu crowing herself and fetching the rosary from her belt "Lord, deliver your good Queen Constance and her child safely through this birth" She began as she crossed herself.

"There, you have prayer to ease your babe into the world" Beth said, pressing a quick kiss to Constance's burning cheek before she pushed again and blood leaked from between her legs.
"The head is out!" The midwife called "only the shoulders now, your grace!"

Constance tried to nod but was cut short by another construction that made her cry out, her fingernails digging into the wood of the chair, tearing away its polished finished "Just once more!" The woman said and the Queen's eyes opened.
"Margaret!" She cried, reaching out a trembling hand to the kneeling woman who immediately looked up "Margaret I need you"

She was by her side in a second, binding their heads together with the beads of her rosary and pressing a kiss to her knuckles.
"You will see this child born" She said "You will have another son, another Prince and you will live"

With all of her will, Constance pushed for the last time, gritting her teeth so hard she feared they would break until the child between her legs suddenly came loose and she collapsed against Margaret's shoulder.