𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝐿𝑋𝐼𝐼𝐼

~The Great Wide World~

February 1477, Westminster Palace....

Edward brooded over what to do with his brother, debating between a swift rebuke and a calculated response. In the end, he wrote to Richard, asking his younger brother's advice. Constance didn't read his reply, she only knew mere hours after it arrived, Edward had sent out soldiers to arrest his brother and bring him to London to answer for his crimes.

She only hoped he would come calmly, she thought as she gently braided Marie's hair before pushing George aside in her head. Today was not the day to think on him, today was the day to think on her little love for before the sun set, she would be away to her new home.

All around her in the Princess' attendants folded her gowns and wrapped her belongings in silk, packing them away into great chests. Normally it would be them who did the Princess' hair too but the Queen was determined to see to that task, knowing it would likely be the last time she ever would. Her little girl was growing and she needed one last moment where she was still her precious baby.

Marie sat with her back straight on the dressing table stool, staring at her Mother in the mirror. Constance smiled, catching her eye.
"As-tu peur, mon amour?" 'Are you afraid, my love?' The girl shook her head a little, being careful not to ruin her Mother's work.

"Je suis triste de te quitter" 'I am sad to be leaving you' She admitted and Constance's heart swelled with adoration. She bent down, pressing a quick kiss to her daughter's cheek "Mais je n'ai pas peur" 'But I am not afraid' Marie continued "Je sais que c'est mon devoir et je l'accomplirai avec fierté, en te gardant toujours, toi et Père, dans mon cœur" 'I know it is my duty and I will carry it out with pride, always keeping you and Father in my heart'

"Vous êtes une vraie rose York" 'You are a true York rose'

She pushed her shoulders back against proudly and smiled into the mirror. She hoped her Father thought the same!

"Now" Constance murmured picking up the cone-shaped headdress with a coronet at the base and a sheer veil flowing from the top, on the nearby bed and a handful of pins with it "You always carry your hennin well, my love" She praised as she placed it on her daughter's head, sliding the pins in to secure it "and you must always hold your head high, like the Queen you shall one day be. Here, I have something for you"

Reaching into the sleeves of her gown, she retrieved a square of crimson silk, placing it in front of her daughter and nodding for her to open it. Marie did so with nimble fingers and she let out a gasp of shock and delight when she saw what was inside. A collar of pearls and diamonds lay on the silk, small sapphires dangling between them and hanging from the centre, a York rose pendant encrusted with diamonds, dazzling in the morning light.

"Oh ma Mère" She breathed, carefully picking it up "but this is yours!" She exclaimed turning to look up at Constance who was beaming.
"Queen's jewels for a Queen one day to be!" She said and took the necklace from Marie's hand, placing it around her neck and deftly fastening the clasp.