New Kid

My alarm beeps, awakening me from my peaceful sleep. I slap me alarm clock and will myself out of bed.
I dry my hair off and weave it into a tight braid.

"Morning honey," Mom chirps, passing me and Ant plates of bacon and scrambled eggs.
"Morning Mom," I groan, digging into my food. Then Ant takes a piece of bacon from my plate, "Give that back you little insect," I scold, trying to steak my bacon back. Then Ant shoves all the bacon on his plate into his mouth and dad and Sam walk in.
"That's gross Ant," I say, making a face.
"Good morning Ant, Max. Sleep well?" Dad questions, sitting down after grabbing him and Sam plates.
"I wish, I was up all night reading..." I mutter, staring at my food.
"What about you Ant?" Dad asks quizzically.
"Fine," Ant mutters in response.

I pedal my bike as fast as I can to school. I promised Demetri and Eli we would meet up. I know I could hang out with Sam and her pretty, popular friends, but I like hanging with Metri and Eli.

I'm sitting with Dimitri and Eli at our normal table when some guy walks up and asks if he can sit.
"Sorry table's really blowin' up right now, I can put you on the wait list, but it's probably next semester at the earliest," Demetri jokes. I playfully slap him on the arm.
"He's kidding, sit," I urge, nodding to the chair.
"My name's Miguel," He says, sitting down.
"I'm Demetri, that's Eli, and the girl to your right is Maxine, we just call her Max," Metri clarifies.
"Nice to meet you," I say, giving a small smile. Eli just waves. Miguel looks at Eli confused.
"He's a man of few words," Demetri clarifies, once again. I notice Miguel's eyes drifting over to where my sister and her friends are sitting.
"Those are the rich girls," Metri says.
"Do you ever talk to them?" Miguel questions, to which I chuckle a bit.
"Oh yeah all the time, we hang out after school, make-out, give each other blow jobs, Eli here is the homecoming king," Demetri says, rolling his eyes, "Of course not! By sitting here you're basically signing away all hopes of losing your virginity until college," Metri scolds, "Max could sit with them, but for some reason she chooses to be a loser," He mutters.
"What does he mean you could sit with them?" Miguel asks.
"See that pretty brunette?" I ask, pointing to my sister.
"Yeah... so," Miguel questions, not getting it.
"They're twins, Max is younger by 3 minutes," Metri confesses before I could even open my mouth.
"Now that you mention it, I see the resemblance," Miguel says. Miguel decides it's a good idea to try and talk to them. We all warn him against it, but does he listen... No. He fails and gets embarrassed. Don't worry, we've all tried. Well everyone except me that is.

I'm at home in my bed reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland when my mom walks in and tells me it's time for dinner.
"Kyler! I didn't know you would be here," I stutter.
"Sam invited him," Dad replies to my look. He flashes me a smile that says "I don't trust this kid" and I give him a look that says "I agree"
"And that is the LaRusso fish delicacy!" Dad announces.
"I don't like fish," Kyler says.
"Are you sure you don't want to try a piece? It melts on your tongue," Dad urges.
"You like fish, you love the fish sticks in the cafeteria," Sam chips in.
"Oh yeah, do you have any fish sticks?" Kyler asks excitedly. I give dad a look as if to say "Is this guy for real?!" Dad flashes me an obviously fake smile, trying to say that we should just leave it. I give him an "Are you sure" glance, and he nods.
"Sam, why don't you come with me to the kitchen to find Kyler something to eat?" Mom asks, trying to diffuse the tension. They get up and dad starts asking Kyler questions. I zone out due to lack of interest and start picking at my fish.

We say goodbye to Kyler and I head back to my room and collapse on the bed. As soon as my head hits the pillow, I'm fast asleep.