Ch. 19

It was not just like a warp box as you had hoped.

Darkness surrounded you as you took a free fall through the warp pipe. The air around you grew cold the moment you started your descent, sending an odd chill through your body. You closed your eyes tightly as your mind started to make you think you would eventually hit the ground.

However, that was not the case.

You felt a sudden change in gravity around you as you began to be pulled upwards from where you were falling.

The next thing you knew, you were shot out of the other end of the pipe and into the air. You were projected slightly forward, and not being prepared for a landing at all, you fell and hit the cold stone floor of your new surroundings.

Letting out a small groan in pain, you sat up from where you landed and looked to the pipe you had just exited. To your surprise, the pipe was facing upwards, just as the one you entered did.

Did I just...

fall up?

Shaking off the pain and confusion you stood up and took a look at the environment around you.

You were amazed to find yourself surrounded by a great amount of warp pipes in a large stone tunnel.

The pipes ranged in colors, and twisted and turned across the walls, none of them having an entrance in sight. The passage was dimly lit with the occasional lanturn being hung on the walls or ceiling, making it hard to see what was in the distance.

So this is the underground warp way...

The large size of the tunnel was intimidating to you, but you quickly got yourself together and dug through your satchel. You pulled out the map Kamek had given you to help you easily find your way to the Mushroom Kingdom.

It seemed easy enough to follow, most of it requiring you to just walk forward with a few turns here and there. After figuring out what direction you needed to go, you started to head your way through the tunnel.

Your footsteps echoed off the damp stone walls as the sound of dripping water filled the passage. The water fell from the ceilings and warp pipes, dropping into small puddles that had been created on the floor.

You couldn't help but wonder where the water was coming from.

You had to duck or go around the occasional pipe in order to stay on the path. You held the map tight in your hand and constantly looked down at it to make sure you were going the right way. The last thing you wanted was to get lost down here.

You stayed on edge as the random unidentifiable sound would echo through the passage every few minutes. Just in case, you dug out a pocket knife you had packed in your bag and put it in your jacket pocket.

Time went by as you traveled through the passage.

You were unsure of how much time was going by, but it felt as if you had been walking for a few hours. Luckily, according to the map, it looked as if you were about to arrive at the pipe that would bring you to the surface at the next turn.

Desperate to get out of this damp, dark place, you picked up your pace slightly as you neared the turn. Oddly enough, the closer you got, the louder the running and dripping water started to echo across the walls.

The pipes started to thin out slightly, making it much easier to walk through, and allowing you to actually see where the tunnel veered to the right.

"Finally..." You muttered to yourself in relief.