Ch. 34

Three weeks had passed since the events that occurred within New Donk City.

Since that day, your magic felt... different...

Using your magic every once and a while seemed to keep any possible episodes from happening again. When you used your magic though, it almost felt as if it was strained, causing the chain link necklace that Rosalina had given you to feel heavy and restricting around your neck.

It was something you were willing to deal with though...

That voice also never returned, and any research on the strange silhouette proved futile as you scoured the Mushroom Kingdoms library within the castle for any possible information in your free time. You were far too hesitant to ask anyone about the voice as well, feeling like it would just make you seem crazy if you were to ask questions that were even slightly related to that silhouette.

Despite your frustration from meeting countless dead ends in your research, you actually managed to settle into your role in the Mushroom Kingdom rather well.

You were given a room within the castle and helped Toadsworth with his work when you were needed. Though, being his assistant mostly consisted of simple tasks like keeping his work space tidy or fetching requested items.

You were actually able to learn a lot about the world and magic by working with Toadsworth, with him being willing to answer almost any question you had with great enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, the questions he didn't seem willing to answer were the ones related to power stars...

You had only tried to bring up the power stars twice with him.

The first time, he appeared to get incredibly uneasy at the very mention of the magic item, with him brushing off your questions and quickly changing the subject.

The second time you had brought it up, he was much more straightforward with his unwillingness to discuss the topic, with him telling you in an extremely strict manner that he wasn't meant to talk about it, and to 'please never bring it up to me again'.

You admittedly became a bit shaken by this reaction, fearing you may have caused him some form of suspicion towards you, but, to your surprise, he went back to his cheerful self after that.

Despite Toadsworth seeming to become quite fond of you, you decided that if you were to get the information you came here for, that it had to come from someone else.

Your hope was to eventually get this information from Luigi...

Mario was constantly coming back to the kingdom, only to leave again, most times being to help with issues still occurring in New Donk City, and Peach mainly worked with Toadsworth on increasing security measures in the Mushroom Kingdom.

This left Luigi to basically get assigned to helping you get settled in.

Though, at some point in passing conversations you had with Toad, he let it slip that Luigi's job was to 'keep an eye on you', which made you feel uneasy about asking Luigi questions related to power stars. However, Toad also mentioned something about you being meant to 'keep Luigi from becoming distracted', which you could only assume related to the research on chaotic magic and koopas that Toadsworth hadn't taken too kindly to.

Of course, you were more than happy to play a role like that if it meant preventing him from looking further into that information.

Regardless of this, you found yourself becoming increasingly comfortable around Luigi, with him being surprisingly easy to talk to. He seemed to become more comfortable around you as well, despite his nervousness always seeming to increase at random points, but you were just starting to assume this was normal behavior from him.