Ch. 23

"I wish I could just sleep..." you muttered to yourself as you paced back and forth aimlessly.

You had been awake ever since you had woken up in this castle. Now you were just anxiously waiting for it to be day, unable to sleep from your constant loop of nervous thoughts and feelings.

Toadsworth had brought you to a surprisingly nice guest suite to stay in for the night, but despite how comfortable the bed was, you couldn't sleep at all.

You were unable to ask Toadsworth more questions since you got to the room rather quickly after you left the throne room. You were starting to wish he explained more about Waluigi and Wario. The fact that they used to work with Kadaver made you feel uneasy, but you were unable to get any more information about that.

Looking at the clock in your room, you saw that it was about half past three in the morning.

Oh come on!

Letting out a frustrated sigh, you decided to get some fresh air and walked out onto the small balcony that was connected to your room.

You leaned yourself against the railing and looked across the Mushroom Kingdom while taking in the crisp air of the early morning. The soft sound of chirping crickets and plants brushing against each other in the breeze created a relaxing atmosphere in the dim lighting of the fading night.

The castle you were in seemed to be on top of a large hill, allowing you to see most of the kingdom rather well.

You couldn't lie, it was a beautiful kingdom.

Most of the houses and buildings were shaped like colorful mushrooms. The streets looked clean and all the structures below were neatly placed. Colorful plants and the greenest grass you have ever seen covered spaces throughout the large kingdom.

As gorgeous as the view was, you couldn't help but feel frustration and anger towards the Mushroom Kingdom as you gazed upon its beauty.

Would my fathers kingdom look this nice if we still had the Ember Isle?

You clenched your fists as your irritation grew from the thought of this comfort and beauty being achieved through deceit and greed.

You then thought of your family...

Ever since your first day in Bowser's castle, you had never been away from them for more than a day. All you've ever known was those three important koopas in your life.

I wonder how they're doing without me...

...

I wonder how I'll do without them...

You could feel your eyes become misty as you thought of your family and home.

"I'll see them again... I'm doing this for them after all..." You whispered in an attempt to comfort yourself.

Your eye was then caught by the movement of something.

Looking down from the balcony, from a distance you saw someone walking on the white stoned path that was placed around the castle.

Though it was a bit far, you could recognize who it was from the all too familiar green cap and overalls they were wearing.

Luigi?

Why is he up so early?

You watched him curiously as he made his way down the path. He eventually went into what looked to be some sort of greenhouse that was surrounded by colorful mushrooms and flowers. Vines climbed up the side of the glass building, and overall the place looked rather quaint for the extravagance of the rest of the castle.