Chapter nine

Eri looked around with fearful eyes as I opened the door to the clinic, but in a way her gaze made sense. The little girl was dressed in an old hospital gown, and if I had to guess, it was probably the only thing that she was allowed to wear. Going into a clinic is most likely one of the worst things that I could do to her right now, but I don't know just how bad her condition is so it had to be done.

Let's just get this over with.

I walked up to the front desk, Eri still in my arms, and stared at the man sitting there. The man seemed to be middle aged with a kind face, but Bakugo used to have a kind face before hitting me, so I didn't let the guy's looks deceive me.

"Good day," he greeted, "what seems to be the problem?"

I pointed to the girl. "She's injured and needs to be looked at," I explained, cutting to the chase.

The man's face remained the same, but his eyes became more serious as he nodded and led me to a small check up room. I put Eri down and tried to leave and sit outside the room to give her some privacy, but the girl grabbed my wrist with what seemed to be all her strength, making me stop.

I looked at the doctor who was watching the scene unfold. The man tipped his head to the side, indicating the chair next to the patient bed. I squeezed Eir's hand before moving over to it. The girl let out a small breath when I sat down.

The doctor tried to start the exam, it going well enough until he touched the girl's bandages. Eri's eyes opened wide in fear before going dark as she became docile. I looked away to give the girl her space but, It was like she was trying to make herself as passive as possible. I know that I probably shouldn't have, but I let her do this. Whatever trauma the girl has, it won't be solved with this one visit. If this lets her get through the exam for now, then I'll leave her be.

That's at least what I thought.

The doctor pulled out a needle to do some blood work, that was when the light came back to her eyes. When the emotions turned back on.

Eri looks scared.

I got up and went to the girl as she started scooting back on the bed to get as far away from the doctor as she could, and blocked her view of the doctor and the needle both.

"It's okay," I told her calmly, patting the girl on the head softly before turning to the doctor, angling my body so she could see.

I held out my arm to the doctor and motioned for him to take my blood instead. He did just that, pulling out a small bit of blood from my arm.

"See?"

I looked into the girl's eyes, watching them shake slightly while watching us, but I could tell that she was more relaxed than before. I felt my lips twist into a small frown at the sight.

I don't want her to trust me.

Eri is a girl that looks like she's been hurt her whole life. I don't want her to trust me and I leave her. I don't want to be just another person that hurts her.

The girl leaned back as if trying to make herself small. "He... he won't hurt me?"

It was the same question she asked me outside the building.

I leaned down in front of her, erasing the frown from my face. A cold look is always better than a hurt one.

"He won't hurt you. He's going to help."

The girl took a moment before nodding slightly.

The rest of the visit went without any more trouble, but the doctor's face became more and more worried throughout the visit anyways.