Chapter twenty-three

Shinso POV

The first field trip of the year was announced only a few days after school had started. Not that it could really be called a field trip seeing as now we are supposed to be staying on campus but are going to a new training facility at the edge of it that's to be used by both hero students and even some of the newer heroes in Japan. The facility itself was something that I was more excited to see than actually participate in. It's supposed to be some type of rescue training facility... without any people that I can actually use my quirk on.

At least the girl in my class with the invisibility quirk can turn herself into a human flashlight and help with the darker areas, I can't even do that much.

"Line up in an orderly fashion according to your I.D. numbers and fill in the seats," Ida screamed out, his arm moving in the typical robotic fashion that he tended to use when over excited by the situation.

"Does he know...?" One of the girls in the class, a girl with brown hair and cheeks much too pink for it to not be some type of quirk thingy even if not directly related to her's, whispered into the crowd of students.

Another girl with a costume much too revealing for a high school student, seemed to have been able to follow the other girl's train of thought easily enough as she turned around a bit to answer her. "No," she whispered, "but he'll see it soon enough."

Everyone piled onto the bus, completely ignoring anything that the boy with the engines in his legs had said. Not that it had mattered as the boy himself yelled out in frustration only moments after he had gotten onto the bus, telling everyone that it had been a different model than he'd expected.

A girl with pink skin and little horns coming out of her hair patted the boy enthusiastically on the back as Ida hunched over in his seat, though I think she meant it to be comforting in some way but was just much too overzealous with the delivery. "All that for nothing," she remarked.

I got landed between the girl with the frog quirk and the boy that intakes sugar to become stronger, every doctor's worst nightmare.

It wasn't long before the students all got talking about their quirks, something that I largely tried to stay out of so as to not draw attention to the nature of mine, but stayed tuned in enough to hear what the others said about theirs. Something that I learned after years being on the other end of children's quirks was to at least listen to what they are before they're aimed at me, especially when they're giving the information up for free.

"My hardening is good in a fight, but it's really boring," the boy with tall red hair and shark-like teeth. He held up his arm and showed off the way that it turned into flesh toned rock.

"It should be more than enough to go pro though," the girl next to me said, not to be nice, but to just state the fact. She seemed like someone that didn't bother with telling pretty little lies to make other people feel good about themselves.

The conversation got worse from there as one of the girls pointed out that heroes have to have a popular appeal to them and the boy with the navel laser started raving about his own quirk. Getting the quirk that I did, I hate it when people talk about theirs like this. I hate it when kids that are blessed and know it don't even bother having an ounce of humility to their character.

I guess being around Izu has made me forget that assholes still exist in the world.

"You want to talk about strong and flashy quirks," one of the other students said, joining the conversation, "that would be Bakugo and Todoroki."

"But Bakugo is so unhinged that he could never be popular," the girl with the frog quirk said, Asui I think, making my impression of the girl ten times better than it had been before.