Life is short and death is forever.

Grandpa Marsh was probably the funniest man anyone would ever meet. That's what they all said about him, and you couldn't help but agree. 

He was the light of the family. Giving love and banter to all stale family gatherings. Not once was there an uncomfortable silence in his presence. Always a smile on his face, a twinkle in his deep rich eyes. 

You stare at his face. He almost doesn't look like himself anymore. You shift around a little as the fact dawns on you. You'll never see him again. 

His corpse may be here in front of you now, but its not him. 

Not Grandpa.

You'll never have someone to look for at Christmas dinners when they seem to drag on. Someone to give you a playful smirk and a cheeky wink when you catch each others eye. He was gone now. 

Once again casting your eyes down to his body you try to find some sort of him left in there, your met with nothing though. 𝘐 𝘨𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘢 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘫𝘰𝘣 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘦. You think to yourself. Grateful for the mortuary's hard work.

But still its almost like somethings wrong. Same smile lines and wrinkles, same hair beard and noes. But it wasn't sitting right. 𝘔𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨. Uncanny. 

You get up and leave. This was all too much right now. 

To take some air you decide to walk throughout the old house your grandpa use to live in. 

It felt different now. Colder maybe? Yeah. Colder and empty without Grandpa Marsh around, now this house felt like a void. Like there was a lack of something. Walking into the hallway you turn towards the large stair case, memories of your childhood flood throughout your mind. 

Even in his old age Grandpa Marsh would play with the kids anytime they visited whether that be for a holiday celebration or because the parents just couldn't be fucked having sticky little kids running around all day breaking valuable items.

You smooth your hand along the dark rich banister of the large wooden stair case. Walking up it you feel sad. But then again, you cant act like you had 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 much connection to the place. 

Your mother and father very intentionally moved you far away from him and this little town. Your mother always having hated Grandpa Marsh and Roseville which didn't cause many problems between her and your father considering he wasn't the biggest fan of either. To the point of both of them being hesitant to show up today at the funeral.

Strange how Grandpa was loved by almost all children, except one of his sons. 𝘐 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘴 ... You think to yourself quietly thinking over what your father had said about his upbringing. Your attention shifts hearing clutter from the hallways, distant chatter and a few bits of laughter here and there. 

Quickly pulling away your hand from the stairs you make the swift decision of going outside to avoid the chatter of other guest and family members at the house. Even though you were around least of all the grand children, Grandpa Marsh made it clear you were his favorite. And right now you couldn't bother with other people giving you condolences and drone over and over about how YOU where the star child for him.

You step towards the main entrance of his mini mansion and make your way down the stone steps into the gardens. It was bright and sunny today, very unfit for a funeral. Bee's bussed along and birds chirped, it was picture perfect.

Inhaling through your nose you try to process the different smells. 𝘏𝘮.. 𝘧𝘭𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘴. You think to yourself. 𝘓𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳, 𝘵𝘶𝘭𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘩𝘺𝘢𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘩, 𝘭𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘺𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘴 𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘦. There was of course the famous Florida heat smell too along with dirt and food from the nearby outdoor table just to the left of you.