Koz • Twelve • Xavier, darling? What's wrong?

Heads up! This chapter gets a little steamy.

Insert a smirk emoji *Here*

* * * * * * * *

Chapter Twelve

Xavier, darling? What's wrong?

* * * * * * * *

"You're telling me you're afraid of insects?"

"No, I just randomly faint whenever a bug crawls on me," I told Xavier flatly. My back was leaning against a boulder that was his chest. I watched Kaylin tend to her half-sister. Small torches are placed in the ground, illuminating the dark cavern. "How's Ava doing?"

Please change the subject. I did not want Xavier to press the bug conversation any further. It isn't delightful.

"She'll be fine. She needs to rest." Kaylin said, pulling a brown blanket over Ava's unconscious body. "But Captain, we can't go anywhere with her in this state."

Strong, toned arms around my waist moved me to a more upright position. "I know," I felt Xavier's warm breath fanning across the side of my neck. "Kaylin, you try to catch some fish in the river for food. The princess and I will search for an exit."

Before I could comment, Xavier stood up, taking me with him. I stumbled, my legs wobbly, but he kept an arm around my waist. "Thank you, Captain."

He released his grip on me but held his hand out. "Come, Milady, let us see if we can find a way out of this cavern." No thought crossed my mind as I took his hand. He then intertwined his fingers with mine. "Kaylin, we won't be long."

Hang on, what now?

I glanced down at my hands with his.

He's holding my hand.

And I'm allowing it.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

A small fire appeared near Ava, pulling me away from my thoughts. Kaylin then walked over to us. "Ivory, are you sure you want to be alone with this pervert?"

"Don't worry, I think I can handle him," I said, pulling my hand from Xavier's and placing it on her shoulder. "Besides, we are not going far, right?"

I could not have been so wrong.

One of these days, I need to stop contradicting myself.

We walked through the darkness for what seemed like hours with a torch Kaylin conjured for us hovering above our heads. I lost track of the length of time we had been wandering around. Each cave we took ended with a dead end.

"Not to worry, Milady, I'm certain one of these caves must lead to the surface." Xavier gently squeezed my hand.

I ignored him.

My thoughts dwelled upon my father, the King.

If he was not aware I had been captured, then why did he send Oblivion to rescue me? Surely, father didn't know I was taken prisoner.

Right?

"Um, Milady? Not that I don't mind, but could you ease your grip?" I hadn't noticed until now that I had grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly. In the torchlight, his green eyes scanned my face. "You seem tense. Are you all right, my love?"

I tightened my grip. "Call me that again, and I'll fucking crush your hand!"

"The offer still stands, you know," he brought our intertwined hands up to his lips and planted a kiss on the back of mine. "I could be your's if you wanted."