Koz • Seventeen • Her Pain and Pleasure

* * * * * * * *

Chapter Seventeen

Her Pain and Pleasure

* * * * * * * *

Princess Ivory, would you do the honours of becoming my lover?

His words lingered in the air briefly.

I forgot the fake part.

Xavier was asking me to pretend to be his. Considering everything, the situation we're in with the Bathol orcs, Mentra, and my father, not to mention Xavier's curse. Could I agree to it? I have never been good at faking anything, I am a terrible actor. The bigger question, however, is, do I feel anything towards him?

He is a flirtatious asshole.

"Don't overthink it," a hand landed on my cheek. "What do you say, Milady? Will you at least try?"

"I—"

"W-we have a p-problem!" Ava shouted, sounding out of breath as she ran towards us. "Bandits are approaching!"

Xavier mumbled something under his breath, but I couldn't quite catch his words. "How many?" He asked, clearly frustrated. Standing up, he held out his hand for me.

As I took it, his fingers enclosed around mine. For a moment, I stared down at them. I pondered over whether or not I should agree with his proposal. Would it change anything? I am well aware it would be fake, but still.

I caught the half-elf glancing down at Xavier and my hands before looking back at her captain. "Not sure. Kaylin is up there." She pointed to a dune to the right.

With a nod, Xavier began to run towards the dune, still holding my hand. I was dragged along with him while Ava moved behind us. Xavier's grip on my hand didn't loosen as we climbed the steep dune. Once at the top, we crotched down next to Kaylin.

"What do your elf eyes see?" Xavier inquired from next to me.

Kaylin pointed to a cloud of dust several dunes away. "There are roughly six rapidly approaching us."

"Armed?"

"Yep," she said. "Captain, they carry the Mentra flag."

I felt all eyes on me. Shit! "They are after me, aren't they?"

"We won't let them get you," Xavier placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Speak for yourself," Kaylin muttered, standing to her feet. "I wouldn't care if we give her over."

"Kaylin, you don't mean that," Ava said this time. "Ivory is one of us now, isn't she?" When her sister didn't answer, Ava sighed. "We took an oath when we joined Xavier, remember? We're in this together."

Helping me up, Xavier stood. "The Princess and I have an announcement," he said, clearing his throat. He took my hand in his. "We have decided to fake a relationship."

Say what now?

"You're fucking joking, right?" Kaylin laughed, and her eyes landed on me. "Are you serious, Your Highness? You trust this flirtatious asshole?"

Ava didn't share her sister's opinion. "I'm happy for you, captain!" She smiled. "It's about time! Even if it is unreal."

I cannot believe this!

So I squeezed his hand hard, I might add. "What are you doing?" My voice was a mere whisper. "Since when do I not get a say in the matter?"

"You do. However, I made your mind up for you," Xavier pressed a kiss to the back of my hand. "Now is not the time to discuss this, though." Turning his attention to Kaylin, he signalled to her. "Let's see what our visitors want."