Chapter 1 - Just having Dinner

Click

Click

Click

You tapped your pen against the desk, clicking it in and out mindlessly, searching your brain for an ounce of inspiration. None came.

The last three days had been a chore, filling your schedule to overflowing. Between the homework and projects in your classes, and the extra shifts you'd been taking at work, you were basically about to capsize under all the pressure.

But stress was nothing new for you. You weren't concerned. All you really were, honestly, was frustrated. It was just annoying to have so much to do. Your teacher had assigned partners for your project, but of course, you got paired with the laziest of all your options, so you were left to do the damned thing alone.

Heaving a sigh, you picked up the glass of ice water sitting on your desk and took a sip. The water was refreshing, but at the same time, it reminded you just how little you'd eaten today. You had a bad habit of getting distracted and forgetting to eat.

Reluctantly, you pulled yourself away from your desk and stood up. You raised your arms and stretched, hearing your back pop. Well that was certainly better, wasn't it? You looked to the clock with tired eyes, and groaned.

9:30 pm.

Sure, that wasn't really late at all. You usually went to bed around now if you could anyways. Seems like a good stopping point.

The project was almost done anyway, and you were tired. And hungry. Like, really hungry. It was definitely time for a break and some snacks. Not to mention you probably needed a shower. Scratch that. You definitely needed a shower.

But first priority was food. Showering on an empty stomach was a no-go. You always made yourself sick when you did that. Now to figure out what to eat.

You left your room and sauntered down the stairs. The sound of the television traveled from your parents bedroom. Whatever they were watching sounded boring. Probably a crime show. Your parents liked crime shows.

Fluffy carpeted stairs turned into cool hardwood flooring as you made your way to the kitchen. Your house was truly beautiful.

It was an old log cabin, built by your own father's construction company before you'd ever been born. It was odd to live in a normal suburban neighborhood when your house was like this. The wood was a beautiful cedar, and it smelled lovely. Your entire house always smelled lovely. The floors were a lovely mahogany, and they complimented the cedar in an oddly beautiful way. The carpets were a dark red. It looked like a waterfall of blood pouring down the steps of the staircase.

The furniture had been picked out by your mother. All of it was black victorian gothic style furniture upholstered with various dark shades of velvet. Your own furniture in your room was also of this design. Spikes and intricate designs ran across every inch of the living room.

The TV monitor was a CRT you'd had since you were a kid, and was connected to a VCR and a DVD/Blu-ray player. Shelves of movies and books lined the walls. Dark red lace curtains hung over the windows, blocking view both in and out of the house. A chandelier hung in the middle of the living room, illuminating the area dimly with fake candles that glowed a soft yellow.

The kitchen was similar in design, with black granite counters and mahogany cabinetry. Shelves hung from the wall laced with vines that grew from the many potted plants your mother grew in the house.

All in all, your house was awesome. And your parents were very very goth. In fact, the guest room of your house was a bat nursery - entirely legally run and properly operated without the intent of selling the animals. You yourself had three cats that followed you around constantly.