Chapter 3 - Fuck.

A screech resonated through the building. You froze. You were naked and alone upstairs in your shower, and you most certainly just heard your mother scream your name. Had you done something wrong? No. There was no way she'd call for you like that if that was the case.

Maybe she was just watching a movie? No to that too. She never screamed during movies. No, this was a blood curdling screech. A screech of anguish and pain.

And you couldn't help because you were butt-naked and sopping wet.

Cautiously, you turned off the water and got out of the tub. After quickly drying off, you flung on your fresh pajamas and went out into the hall. Moving as quietly as you could, you tiptoed down the carpeted hallway to your room.

After spending what was surely too long debating what the best option was, you dialed 911.

"911, What's your emergency?" The operator spoke in a calm and measured voice – soothing.

"Yeah, uhm, I just heard my mom screech, and I think someone's in the house? My parents might be hurt."

"We'll send the police and an ambulance. Please stay where you are and stay on the phone with me."

"Alright."

"Can you tell me anything else about the situation?"

"Uhm... Well, I woke up from this really bad nightmare, so I went to take a shower, and uhm... I just heard a scream from downstairs, and it sounded like my mom. And she doesn't scream at stuff."

"I see. Where are you in the house?"

"I'm upstairs, I'm in my bedroom."

"Okay. I would advise you to find something to arm yourself in case the intruder finds you."

"Okay, uhm... I have... I have a baseball bat under my bed. A nice sturdy metal one. Would that work?"

"In a pinch, yeah. But let's pray you don't have to use it, huh?"

"Yeah..."

You let out a breathy chuckle and scanned around under your bed. You spotted the bat and pulled it out from beneath your bed, and held it with a firm grip watching the door.

"Ma'am? Are you there?"

"Yes. I am."

"Good."

You sat down on your bed, praying nothing would happen, when you heard a beep. The call. It had disconnected. But how? Calls with 911 weren't supposed to be able to do that. You could call them from anywhere.

And yet...

The phone lit up, buzzing. The operator was calling back. You picked up.

"I'm so sorry ma'am. That isn't supposed to happen."

"It's fine."

You froze. There was a thumping up the stairs. Oh god.

"Ma'am, is everything okay?"

You looked at your door handle. It was unlocked. Quietly as you could, you twisted the lock.

"...yeah. For now."

You watched as a dark shadow filled the already dark space under the door.

You held your hand over your mouth, and selected the keypad option on the call.

"Ma'am, are you sure you're alright?"

You pressed 5. 5 means no. No, you're not okay.

The operator gave a small hum, then you received a text. It was the operator.