Chapter 5 - A Busy Day

(A/N - AAAAAGGHHH- Oh god I'm so sorry I haven't updated in so fucking long shitttttt- *ahem* Sorry about the five days you, my dear readers, went without a new chapter. I really didn't mean  to go that long without uploading.)

You woke up around 10:00 am to an unknown phone call. You yawned and picked up, trying your best to wake up fully.

"Hello, is this Miss L/N?"

"Yes, this is she?"

"Ah, perfect. I'm from the ICU. I'm calling about your parents?"

You were hit with a wave of consciousness. The sudden awareness of your surroundings was startling, but understandable. Your eyebrows furrowed with concern.

"Is everything alright? Are my parents okay?"

"Well, surprisingly, yes. It's rude of me to say, but their chances of survival were incredibly low. However, they seem to be surprisingly stable right now. We're not entirely sure how, so we're looking into it, but that's not really why I called. See, it's about how long your parents will be in the hospital."

"I see. Is something wrong?"

"No! No, sorry, I don't mean to worry you! I just wanted to let you know how long they'll be staying. See, your parents' injuries are very severe. Because of that, they will likely have to stay in the hospital for at least a few months."

"Oh. Okay. Well, whatever they need, right?"

"Of course. I felt it was important to let you know because I'm not sure what your financial situation is, so I figured I should let you know that your parents wouldn't be working for a while because of their condition."

"Well, thank you for doing that."

"Of course."

"Is there anything else?"

"No, that'll be all... Oh! Actually, there is one other thing."

"Yeah?"

"I just wanted to let you know that due to awareness about the attacker's signature, we have police working around the clock to guard the hospital and individual patient's rooms. Your parents are safe with us!"

"Oh! Well thank you for letting me know!"

"No problem."

"By the way, what time are visitation hours?"

"You can come by any time you like unless there's a surgery, and stay as long as you like as well!"

"Great. I'll probably come by later then if I can."

"Lovely! I'm sure your parents will be excited! Well, they would be. If they were conscious and aware. They're asleep right now though, and passing in and out of delirium."

"Oh... Okay then. Good day."

"Have a good day!"

The overly chipper nurse hung up the phone, and you groaned. You hadn't slept long - maybe 5 or 6 hours - but you were way too awake now to possibly go back to sleep.

You slid out of bed and stretched your arms. Your cats woke up as the bed shifted, and you gave them an apologetic glance. Once you were out of bed, you went to the couch and sat down to check your phone.

You didn't get a lot of notifications. You had no friends to message, and your only real social life was online - and even that wasn't very social. So the few notifications you did get always stood out to you. Specifically, there was a notification from facebook about some yard sale a friend of your parents' was having in your neighborhood.