Chapter 11 - Saccharine Delirium

"Hey Jack..."

You gave him a small smile. You couldn't quite think fully, but you knew it was your friend, and that was enough to make you happy. You thought he looked a little weird, but you also hadn't ever seen him when he wasn't at work.

He was wearing an odd mask, so you couldn't quite see his face. In fact, that paired with his hoodie pretty well covered everything. You couldn't make out anything that would signify it was him. You just knew.

"Hey. Are you alright?"

The way he spoke was blunter than expected, but you knew he meant well.

"I'm stuffy. And cold. And my head hurts. And I'm hungry."

"I figured that would be the case. Wait here. I'll get you some toast."

"Thanks!"

"Yeah."

Jack walked away, and you only then noticed his odd gait. In fact, your eyes nearly popped out of your skull when you saw the cause of the odd way he was walking. Cloven hooves adorned smooth gray-blue skin. If you squinted, you swore you could almost see his veins through it.

But squinting made you feel even sicker, so you didn't do that. Instead, you buried your head into the corner of the couch again and shivered. You were really cold.

Jack patted you on the back a few minutes later. You lifted yourself up to meet his... gaze? Whatever it was, you stared him in what you assumed were his eyes.

"You've got hooves..."

"Yeah."

"And your skin is blue."

"I know."

"It's pretty."

"Uhh, 'kay...?"

"I can't see your face." You frowned a bit.

Now, it may seem like you were acting rather off. And you were. Your delirious state left your head so weird that all you could manage in the way of emotion was either nothing at all, or the saccharine sweetness you portrayed now.

"That's probably for the better."

"But I like your face."

Jack felt his face flush slightly, "Thanks? I uh... like your face too?"

"Thanks!"

He handed you a plate, upon which sat a simple slice of toast with a pat of butter on top. You took it and he sat down next to you on the couch.

"So. Where am I?"

"My dorm room."

"Oh. Are my cats okay?"

"Yeah. I went back to get your car after I brought you here. They're fine."

You nodded and took a bite of the toast.

"Why were you in the mall?"

"I was running from someone."

"Oh. Are they dangerous?"

"Yeah."

"Are you safe now?"

"...I don't know."

"Oh."

"I might have to move out of my dorm room soon."

"That's not good."

"No, it's not. I don't have anywhere to go now. Especially now that I look so weird."

You gave him an odd look, "But you're so pretty."

Jack nearly choked on one of his three tongues at your statement. He coughed slightly as he felt thick tar roll into his lungs. It seemed that everything in him was slowly being replaced by the viscous fluid.

"I don't know about that."

"I do."

"Oh."

"Maybe I'm smarter than you."

"Maybe so."

You grinned at him. You'd finished the slice of toast, and felt very tired. You wanted to sleep for a while. But you were still so cold. You needed another blanket.

"I'm sleepy."

"Alright. I'll go and let you rest."

You didn't want that. You were liking having him around. Why would you want him to leave?

"Can I get you sick?"

"I don't know."

"Good enough."

With that finality, you flopped your head down against his chest. You could hear his heart rate spike next to your ear. The endless thrumming began to slow after a moment. It was almost hypnotic to your exhausted brain.

"Uhm, Y/N? Do you uhm... want a blanket?"

But the question was in vain. You were already sound asleep against him.

Not quite sure of what to do, he just sat there petting your hair.

He hoped you'd stay asleep for a while. This was nice.

***

Jenny sat on the ground, blood pouring from the wound in her side.

Why?

Why?

Why didn't he kill her?

Why didn't he show her mercy like he did the others? Why wouldn't he let her meet her god? What did she do wrong?

She had to find him. She had to die by his hand. She had to meet him.

Chernabog.

***

The plastic bag landed on the club room table with a thud. Cheering filled the room. A sharp blade thumped into the wooden desk, and the room silenced.

"I want you all to keep searching the perimeters of the property. There's no way he'd leave a victim alive. He'll be back to finish the job."

[Words: 790]