Chapter 6 - Shit They Got My Location

When you got back to your neighborhood, you saw several houses with yard sales going on. It made sense - it was a nice Sunday morning, after all. You weren't complaining. Maybe you'd score some cool stuff.

You decided to just park in your driveway to make things easy. There didn't seem to be any cops left around. You'd probably be able to get back into your house today. However, that would also depend on how safe you felt in the house right now.

You got out of your car and started to walk down the street, taking note of each house and the various things they were selling. Maybe you could find some gifts for your parents.

The first house you stopped at was nothing crazy. A few bird cages caught your eye, and you imagined they'd be something your mom might like for her plants. You decided to get them.

The second house had an abundance of old files. According to the seller, they were his grandfather's research papers. They had a lot of bad memories for him. Your dad would like these. He was an avid collector of odd bits of people's pasts. He liked the odd mystery of it all.

So, that was a gift for each of them. Along with the strange bird cages and the odd files, there was something else that caught your eye.

The last house on the block belonged to the Hall family. Their son, Alex, had left for college a few months back. Or at least, that's what your parents said happened. They were good friends with the Halls.

It seemed they were selling some of their own old useless things, as well as some of the stuff Alex had made it clear he didn't want to keep. One of the items they had for sale caught your eye.

An old banged up NES sat on the table, next to a plastic bag containing several game cartridges and three old, yellowed remotes. It looked like crap, but it probably still ran. You didn't have an NES anymore - having gotten rid of your years ago because it had damn well fallen apart - and you liked a lot of the games in the bag.

Mrs. Hall walked over to you with a smile. She knew you well enough from how often the Halls were over. You didn't talk to them much, but you were, at the very least, on cordial terms.

"Anything catch your eye?"

You nodded a bit, and picked up the NES, examining it. No point in buying it if it was damaged, right?

"This thing in working order?"

You felt that perhaps you were too blunt for a moment. You felt bad for being rude, but chatting like this wasn't really your thing. Her smile showed she had paid it no mind.

"It sure is. Alex used it right up until he left. Not sure why he didn't want to take it with him, but he didn't. He said it had something to do with that Zelda game he loved so much.

You raised an eyebrow and looked at the bag. Sure enough, there it was. A cartridge you didn't pay any mind before. It was blank - the label ripped off. The name was written in black sharpie, 'MAJORA.'

Ah.

Maybe there was something wrong with the cartridge? But why would that make him leave behind the whole console?

Too curious to let your mind rest on not knowing, you asked her how much it was.

"Oh, I dunno. Ten bucks sound good?"

"Absolutely!" Ten bucks for a console, three controllers, and a shitton of games? In this economy? Fuck yeah!

You pulled out your wallet and grabbed a ten dollar bill. She took it with a polite smile, and you grabbed the console and the plastic bag and went on your merry way.