Behind backs

The rock bounces a couple times before sinking into the lake. I throw another and another and...

I hear footsteps approaching from behind. I sling out my knife and get on my hands and knees. Before I could hiss I realise it's not my tsmukan.
It's Neteyam. I sit back down and he sits down next to me.

"Teylupil." (Teyluface) He mumbles. I chuckle. "He's a Kurkung." (Asshole) He also smiles. "Hey listen, Wëkei'o spoke to us before heading home." Neteyam doesn't sound affected much.

"He told us to stay away from you and if we'd ever hurt you he'd come and kill us."

"Sorry." I respond.

"Don't apologise, he just cares about you. Since your parents died he must feel this need to protect you at all costs. Even if it means hurting you in the process." This reasoning calms my anger a little.

I guess that could be true.

"By the way, I think you now know about Lo'aks feelings?" He asks. The rock I was about to throw slips out of my fingers and plops with a loud sound in the lake. My cheeks are flushed red. "Well, yeah." I mumble.

Neteyam snickers. "And? You don't mind?" He whispers near my ear. I move away a little. "I-i'm not sure yet. I haven't really thought about it before." I respond.
He hums and nods. "Well Lo'ak probably isn't smart enough to know that you figured out his feelings... just think about it okay?" He says.
I hum in response. "Seriously, I haven't seen Lo'ak this way ever before..." Neteyam mumbles.

Curiously I glance at Neteyam. He shrugs. "I'm not telling. Just pay attention." He teases. "Ugh fine." I respond.

That night before Neteyam left I told him to speak to Lo'ak for me. "Meet me at the sun cabin."

I fiddle with a bead that hangs from my top. Nervousness eating me from inside out. I rub my hand over my stomach. Fuck why am I so nervous to meet him?

Not much later Lo'ak sneaks through the bushes and makes eye contact with me. He rushes over. "Hey, are you okay?" Lo'ak sounds concerned. I grab his wrist. "I'm sorry about my tsmukan." He eases into my touch. "It's fine, I understand where his protectiveness comes from." Lo'aks eyes shine compared to the dark forest around us. Without thinking my hand reaches to his face. All his stripes and specs covering his face. A beautiful pattern. I inch closer to him to look at all the details. It's been so long since i've seen him up close.

"Faxei'a?" He whispers confused. Quickly I pull my hand back in shock. "Shit! I'm sorry, it's been so long since I got a good look at you." He smiles sweetly. "It's fine..."

I try to focus my attention on something else but nothing comes to mind. He's standing so damn close to me!

"Remember when we tried to draw each others patterns?" He mentions. "Oh right! But you sucked so much at drawing back then!" I chuckle at the memory. He hits my shoulder lightly. "Hey you weren't that great either okay?" We lock eyes and the nervousness I felt a while ago has long passed.

"Want to try again?" He asks. Not really thinking about it much I say. "Sure... I bet i'll make yours more accurately!" He laughs surprised. "Oh ho! It's on, Faxei'a."

We gather leaves in the woods and sharpen our sticks. Somewhere under a big leaf, with the glowing mushrooms nearby so there's some more light, we set down our stuff. I position myself against the tree behind me. Lo'ak sits across from me. We both start drawing each others patterns, I also add his specs and dots.

After a while I feel my eyelids getting heavy. I haven't had much sleep lately and if I slept I had a nightmare. I try my best to continue the drawing but being in his company felt safe and comfortable. "Lo'ak." My voice sounds sleepier than I expected. "Yeah?" He says in a low and soft voice. "I'll continue your pattern later, can I close my eyes for just a couple minutes?" I say. We lock eyes and he smiles sweetly. "Of course. That way I can take a good look at your face." He says. I smile and close my eyes.

In the background I hear some rustling. Slowly I open my eyes and I see the sun coming up through the trees. A group of Prolemuris swing by in the distance. Somehow my back didn't hurt at all. Thats when I realise the body heat I feel behind me. Lo'ak. He has laid me down and was currently laying next to me. His arm around my waist and face in my neck. My tail wrapped around his.

"Shit, Lo'ak! It's already morning!" I whisper scream and shaking his arm that was around me. He hums and readjusted himself but hasn't opened his eyes. "Please, Lo'ak, wake up!" I say. He opens his eyes and smiles cutely. "What?" He mumbles. "It's sunrise! What if your parents or my tsmukan find out we weren't home last night?!"

He shoots up in shock. "Fuck! I totally fell asleep last night after laying down. We should hurry back!"