Going north, part 3

More than forty people left the shores of the White Cliffs on a ship that had no business carrying so many. D'Argen was directed to sit at a spot right beside Abbot. The sail dropped and was immediately filled with errand winds. Lilian sat at the centre of the ship and directed the winds until the ship changed course.

They were sailing north within sight of the shoreline, following the coast to a set of islands, the furthest northern point on any map. After that, it would be uncharted waters.

D'Argen found himself vibrating with too much energy and though he was moving, the ship was so slow that it felt like nothing at all. The itch at his feet was just past bearable and he was not sure how long he would be able to keep still on this tiny vessel with so many other people. He knew for sure he would not be able to sleep.

That first night, barely anyone slept. The deck was cold and swaying and strange, but it was not the new location that kept them from sleeping. It was the excitement as they all talked and walked the deck and broke bread and took out the wineskins.

The sun was setting on the fifth day when the tiny islands appeared on the horizon. Haur directed them to stop. The hull was shallow enough and with a push from Nocipel and Lilian's mahee, Thar joining with a brush of wind that surprised the others in its strength, they dry-docked the ship on a rocky beach.

Everybody disembarked and one of the mortal women immediately took a group to look over the entire ship. It tilted to the side but everything was tied down and remained where it was meant to. And, more importantly, the ship had not broken under them and drowned them all.

That night, D'Argen found out that most of the mortals with them lived in the northern peninsula in villages dotting the mountains around the city of Salem. They were all experienced hikers, used to the cold weather and travelling great distances in blinding conditions. For an adventure north, Haur definitely chose his crew well.

When they set off the following morning, it was with the same cheer as when they left the White Cliffs.

A few days in and the winds finally turned against them. Lilian was too tired from coaxing them the last few days to attempt to do so again. D'Argen sat at his designated spot by the railing and took up an oar. Thar was beside Nocipel at the bow of the ship. The scent of the salty ocean as it sprayed them mixed with the scent of Nocipel's mahee of seaweed and it was all cut through with the clean scent that came from Thar, making it easier for the mortals with them.

"Have you noticed?" Yaling's whisper from behind D'Argen startled him into pulling the oar harder. Lilian glared at him and then the two got back into the same rhythm as the others.

"Noticed what?" D'Argen finally asked and looked over his shoulder at Yaling.

"Thar," she said as if that answered anything.

D'Argen looked at Abbot, sitting beside her, in question. The man shrugged and continued to pull the oar, setting the rhythm so Yaling could talk.

"His mahee," Yaling said again.

"What about it?" Lilian snapped out the question.

"First of all, do not be snappy with me. It is not my fault you need to rest. Second of all—" she leaned even further, stopping the oar from churning and lowering her voice as she said "—his mahee was not this strong on Sky Mountain."

Abbot shook her off and back so they could join the others in rowing. But all of them looked up at the front of the ship where Thar stood completely still, eyes closed against the wind. Nocipel's scent of seaweed was barely felt in the air. The ship was moving swiftly and the winds were filling the sail. Not one of the mortals around them was showing signs of the high of magic.