Arc 3 - 2. The fall of the gods, part 2

1. The fall of the gods, part 2

Lilian led him for a long time, even as D'Argen's eyes kept searching for his running companions in the sky. They came and went, opposite of him and ignoring him as they laughed and continued their chase without a care. When the dark sky was devoid of a moon but covered in so many stars they shined the path for them on their own, he finally asked, "Where are you taking me?"

"Home."

He knew the word and the meaning behind it but it still surprised him. The itch inside him, the one that told him to run, was coming back but it lessened every time he saw Lilian from the corner of his eye. He followed Lilian at a sedate pace and continued to watch as the sun and moon chased each other in the sky.

Lilian led them to avoid clusters of buildings when they saw them in the distance, and explained that they were the mortals though D'Argen already knew. Then Lilian said, "Acela wanted us all together before we make first contact. But I have been looking for you for a long time. They probably already have made it."

"Acela. I know her," D'Argen said, even as he thought of his own first contact with the mortals. Those few that survived his fall probably did not even notice him as he ran past them and the destruction he had caused. They had, however, definitely felt his fall to the mortal realm.

"Yes. You do know Acela," Lilian responded.

"Why her?"

"She is the one who called for us."

D'Argen had no more questions, so he continued to follow Lilian until a storm started inside him. The sound startled him so bad that if not for that something keeping him balanced, he would have tripped and fallen.

"Oh, I apologize, I did not think to offer since you never asked," Lilian said and took a pack off their shoulder. They reached inside and when their small hand came out, there was a large red fruit in their palm. "Eat this first. I have some water still for after."

D'Argen took the fruit and bit right into it. The juices filled his mouth and ran down his chin and something inside him—not the urge the run, not his stomach, maybe his head?—made him cringe, but he ate it all the same. It quieted the thunder in his stomach. The water was soothing for his partched throat, even though he had not felt it until the fruit's juices ran over it.

"How is your mahee?" Lilian asked as they took back the skin of water.

D'Argen did not remember the word but he knew exactly what they were talking about. It was that something inside him that throbbed and pulled and clenched all at once. It was what made him run and what he had that the mortals he had encountered so far did not. It was what helped him keep balanced, but not what made him stare at Lilian's pack of food warily. He touched his throat where he felt it escaping from and remembered the collar he had abandoned atop the mountain. Then he touched his chest where the feeling seemed most concentrated and thought of the delicate designs engraved on his chest plate.

The single vambrance he kept was still around his forearm.

When he realized Lilian was waiting for an answer, he thought back to try and remember their question. He did not. He only nodded in response and Lilian turned, continuing their walk.

When he saw fires in the distance that Lillian did not avoid, he knew they were there.

"Why are we here?"

"This is where Acela appeared. This is where she called us," Lilian answered simply.

"Appeared?"

"Not all of us had such a dramatic entrance as you. Some fell, yes, but some dug their way out of the ground, others came up from the waters, some floated down, and some just... appeared." Lilian always looked at him as they spoke. Their focus was so intense.