Arc 3 - 45. God of Secrets

The wooden doors that separated D'Argen's room from the rest of the complex he must have been in were light. They almost matched the walls around them in shade, though he knew the walls to be made of sandstone. The wood was carved into the intricate shapes of flowers and leaves and vines with what could have been either dunes or waves at the bottom. The open window where D'Argen had heard the signing coming from had no shutters, only a thin and transparent sheet that swayed with the breeze and still let in the light of the midday sun. The bed he was on was soft, feathers and cotton most likely, but small – small enough for a healer to lean over him from either side. The sheets were light, a thin linen that would keep him from sweating, and the robe he wore was of the same material with a single tie at the waist.

He knew this place.

He missed this place.

D'Argen was sitting up, having shoved the pillow behind his waist, and leaning against the sandstone wall as he stared out the window. It had taken too long to get into even that position. The light breeze that came in from the window was not enough to cool the sweat already forming on his skin.

It felt like hours had passed, but he did not move. His body was so sore, as if he had lost feeling to every limb. Most likely, he had barely moved at all from his lying position for the past... Lilian had said not even a decade.

Still. Years.

The doors finally opened some time later though the sky was still bright outside. D'Argen watched as Darania slipped into the room with a tray between her hands. She kicked the door closed and D'Argen's mahee ate up the sound of the wood connecting. Then it consumed the sound of the wooden tray falling and the shattered bottles and bowls that had been on it.

"You are awake!" Darania stated the obvious. She swiftly moved over the shards on bare feet and was at his side in moments. "How are you feeling? Can you speak? When did you wake up?"

D'Argen raised a hand to stall her. His throat was so sore. When he tried to speak, all that came out was a croak, and then he had to cough to try and clear it.

"One moment," Darania said and rushed back to the doors. She yelled something down the hall and then came back to his side, leaving the doors ajar. "I did bring water, but you startled me," Darania informed him and motioned to the tray and broken bottles. "Someone will be here in a moment. In the meantime, do you mind if I examine you?"

D'Argen nodded.

Her small fingers were strong as she probed him about. When she started massaging his arms, he felt the blood flow and turn into pins and needles that ached. It felt better than the soreness from earlier that kept him practically immobile. By the time she was massaging his calves, the door opened again and two mortals came in. One of them deposited their tray on the stand beside the bed and the other on a small table near the window.

"We have good news," Darania informed them with a smile.

"So glad to see you awake, Liege D'Argen," one of the mortals said and came up to him to stand near Darania. "I am Lisa. Do you mind if I touch you?"

Lisa. Riss. The mortal had familiar lines on her face that made him think of the woman that had fought beside D'Argen against the demons. Then against the Never Born. In his dreams. Was Riss ever real? Did someone's face, a mortal he had passed without noticing, just take on a more apparent role in that other realm?

D'Argen shook his head. She replaced Darania at his feet and continued to massage his legs, working the muscles. "In fact, Mother Darania has had me do this every day, but I know how important consent is."

Darania filled a clay cup with water and helped D'Argen drink it. After three cups and clearing his throat multiple times, D'Argen was finally able to say, "Thank you, Lisa."