🍁 Kaedehara Kazuha | Not For You

Synopsis: Letting go of what you think is the best thing of your life can be hard. But, fate has something in store for you. A better future you would not even expect.
Genre: Angst, Comfort

Autumn, the season when the leaves turn from verdant green to alluring shades of crimson red and vermillion

Autumn, the season when the leaves turn from verdant green to alluring shades of crimson red and vermillion. They languidly fall to the ground as the wind gets a bit chiller, pricking at anyone's sensitive skin. Breathing in frigid air feels like drinking mint juice, a cool sensation harrows through the chest. It may be nice to some but for others.

Glancing up, you reached your hand to take the fallen maple leaf. It was a shame that so many goodbyes seemed to happen when autumn came, whether between family, friends, or lovers.

"And maybe, it's time for me to say mine as well." You muttered, watching the figures not far from you frolic by the sea. Both their eyes shone with adoration and happiness, feelings that he would never reciprocate. Not when he had already found the one he wished to be with for the rest of his life.

You stared at the maple leaf in your hand and thought about the subtle changes in your relationship. It was vague when it started, but eventually, you drifted apart from each other. Hazily remembering their first encounter, you suspected that it must have been love at first sight.

Your friend sent you a letter that the Yae Publishing House accepted her as a new writer. You recalled being ecstatic about it because that would mean she would be moving to Inazuma. When she arrived, you toured her around, introducing her to locals and prominent people in the country. It only took one smile for her to pierce the heart of Kamisato Ayato.

"Delighted to meet you, Miss. I hope you enjoy your stay in Inazuma. Should you require assistance, please don't hesitate to inquire Thoma about it." He offered. It was pretty strange for Ayato to proffer help to strangers. You thought that he was just being kind.

Each week, you saw them meet up with each other. There were even rumors that the Yashiro Commissioner fancied the new writer as they would be seen dining together and enjoying their private time. It pained your heart to know the man you loved for years fell for a woman he had recently met. All your efforts to remember his favorite food, place, and gifts were thrown out the window.

In the end, Ayato officially asked her to become his lover. The news circulated around Inazuma. Many were devastated that the elegant and attractive Kamisato Head was already taken. Some sent envious looks their way, but his periwinkle eyes were only set on your friend's. You were forgotten to the sides. Like a toy he had grown out of.

"If I become selfish and tell you my feelings, I will be forever hated. So, I will try to let go. But can I truly let go?" You uttered to the wind. You wanted to be angry, yell at him that you loved him for years, and ask him why he could not look at you. But his eyes said it all. He had a gleam in them that said, 'Ah, she's the one. I mustn't let her go'.

Tears welled up in your eyes, and one by one, they fell like rain on a stormy night. Your chest felt tight at the ache. As he departed from your grasp, he also took with him a part of you who dedicated their selves to a man of his standing.

A shaky sigh left your lips as you let go of the maple leaf and his last gift in your hand. You watched the water carry it away, far from your sight. Suddenly, a handkerchief appeared in front of you. You looked up to see a man with platinum blond hair, a red streak on the side, and soft crimson eyes. A kind smile was etched on his face. He reminded you of maple trees, not just because of his outfit but because of his aura. He sat by your side and asked.

"Tears do not suit you, Milady, but if I may, why do you weep?" He was gentle with his words. You dabbed your face with his handkerchief and ruefully answered.

"I just let go of what I thought was the best thing in my life. How can I be all right?" There was a light deride in your tone in the end, one you did not mean. He understood where the hostility was coming from.

"Fate must have led you somewhere else. To someone better, one who completes the emptiness in your heart. Fate is fickle, but its intricacy is beautiful." He retorted.

You were silenced. It was as if the heartache was washed away by Kazuha's alacrity and confidence. It felt like he had been with fate for years. He understood the reason why somebody's life was weaved the way it was. His flowery words mended the fissure of your heart. Taking in a deep breath, you turned to him.

"You may be right, but it still hurt. I'm not sure how long I will heal, but I know I can try and be happy for them. Thank you, dear stranger." You smiled. His crimson eyes creased in delight.

"Kazuha. Kaedehara Kazuha is my name, Milady." Kazuha replied. You stood up and gave him your name. He was happy to learn your name but more to see that your heart felt at ease. No more turbulent storms were raging in you. The wind whispered that the emotions in you were clouds of acceptance and rays of hope.

"If I may be so bold, do you wish to take a stroll with me through the Chinju Forest, (Y/N)? The bakedanukis might be out for their tricks, but the place is a beauty." He invited. There were thousands of words dancing in his eyes that you were drawn to. You took his hand and reflected the smile on his lips.

"I'll take you on that offer." You grinned. The wind blew between you two, and you found yourself looking forward to meeting him again after this day. Be it in your dreams or by the same beach he found you.

This meeting was a small bud waiting to blossom. Whether it was love or simply friendship, only time could tell. There was no need to rush as the scars of previous affection and longing remained fresh. If anything else, this made you realize that there was a suitable time and person for everything.

 If anything else, this made you realize that there was a suitable time and person for everything

Please do not copy or repost my stories, but likes and comments are always appreciated!