Chapter 23

“Give me a D!”

“D!”

“Give me an E!”

“E!”

“Give me a V!”

“V!”

“Give me an I!”

“I!”

“Give me an L!”

“L!”

“Give me an S!”

“S!”

“What’s that spell?”

“Devils!”

“Say it again?”

“Devils!”

“One more time!”

Devils!

The cheerleaders screamed out in glee, releasing the crowd from whatever hex they were under.  I clapped lamely—almost sarcastically—while Kyla screamed at the top of her lungs, showing off her pure excitement.  Garrett was somewhere in the middle, clapping and laughing like an idiot.  Not that you would expect anything else.  He was Garrett.

Shelley, being one of the cheerleaders, wasn’t sitting with us.  She informed me at lunch today that during half time she would sit next to me, and we’d talk about the plans for tomorrow.  I didn’t understand what I didn’t like about her before.  She was a pretty awesome person.

“Okay, so what’s the point of the game again?” I asked, lifting my feet clad in my new grey slipper boots and resting them on the metal fence that separated the stands from the field.  Apparently, during the game itself I’d be forced to stand up and lean against it with the rest of the crew sitting here.  But, for now, I was fine sitting.

“People run across the field with the ball, trying to get it to the other side,” Paula explained cheerfully from her spot next to me.  She, unlike Shelley, was not on the cheering squad.  Apparently, neither was Meghan.  Well—Meghan used to be a part of the squad, but then this year she decided she needed to concentrate on school work.

“Oh,” I said blankly.  “That’s, ah, interesting.”

“Not a football fan, huh?” came a voice from behind us.

We all turned breaking into smiles as we spotted Meghan standing before us, a tray of hot chocolates in her hand.  She grinned at us, before turning her attention to me.  “Love the outfit, Bri.  Is it new?”

I glanced down at my outfit on reflex.  I’d be lying if I said I didn’t love the new outfit my mom helped me pick out.  A gray and white striped shirt with a pair of skinny jeans, along with a scarf, a beanie hat, and my lovely slipper boots I mentioned earlier.  All in all, the outfit was really comfortable.  “Thanks,” I said with a smile.  “Yeah, it is.”

She continued to grin before gesturing to the hot chocolates.  “I’ve got four hot chocoas here,” she mused.  “Anyone want one?”

In an instant Garrett’s hands were flying in the air.  “Oooh me!” he exclaimed.  He smiled as Meghan passed him one.  “Thank you, m’dear.”

“No problem,” Meghan said, her smile growing wider.  “Anyone else?  If we run out I can get more.”

“I’ll have one,” Paula said, her hands outstretched.

Meghan grinned.  “I was wondering what was taking you so long to ask!”

Paula returned her friend’s smile, taking the hot chocolate Meghan offered her and grasping it so hard that the Styrofoam dented in a little.  I glanced at the two remaining hot chocolates in Meghan’s hand, wondering if I wanted one.  It wasn’t really that cold yet, but I knew I’d want one later when it as freezing out here. Hmm. . . .