Chapter 49

The feeling that was thrashing around inside me could not be described in words.  Relief, shock, love, happiness, all combined into one single emotion so strong that it almost knocked me over.  I slapped a hand to my mouth, feeling tears steadily trickle down my cheeks.

I couldn’t believe it.  I just couldn’t believe it.

I flung myself forward, throwing myself at Dannon.  It was probably a stupid move because of the tubs that were running up his arms and through his nose, but I didn’t care.  And Dannon didn’t seem to care either.  He smiled brightly, his arms wrapping around me.  He didn’t hug me tightly, but that was okay.  Just the feeling of him hugging me back, him breathing into my ear, was enough for me.  This moment was perfect.  It was more than perfect.  It was the moment that I’d been dreaming of.  Who knew that dreams actually did come true?

We hugged for a long time.  I wept into his shirt, but he didn’t seem to care.  And why would he?  He was probably so confused right now.  I mumbled incoherent things into his chest, things that I couldn’t even understand.  Dannon simply soothed me with his hand stroking through my hair.

Finally, I pulled away and Dannon’s hands immediately went to my cheeks.  I held them there, closing my eyes.  “You’re awake,” I croaked out, two ecstatic tears dribbling down my cheeks.  “Oh my gosh, you’re awake.”

Dannon smiled and my heart almost stopped.  That smile, so bright and loving.  I was going to cherish it forever.  “I am,” he whispered.

It was then that I realized how rusty his voice sounded.  He was probably so thirsty right now.  My eyes widened, and I jumped off the bed, clapping my hands together.  “Are you thirsty?” I demanded, ready to leave the room.  “Wait, am I even allowed to give you water?  Damn, I have no idea.”

Dannon laughed, pulling me back onto the bed.  I collapsed, letting out a small shriek.  Instead of glaring at him like I usually would, however, I smiled brightly, unable to be annoyed with him.  The happiness was too much.

“I think I’ll just call the doctor in here,” I announced, reaching over to press the button that signaled the doctors were needed.  Technology was so helpful these days.  “There.  They’ll have the answers.”

Dannon smiled, his hand falling into my hair.  I closed my eyes contently for a moment before opening them again.  “If this is a dream I’m going to bawl when I wake up.”

“Nope, not a dream.”  Dannon smiled.

I smiled back, taking his hand in mine.  My smile only grew as Dannon squeezed my hand comfortingly.  I’d become so used to having no reaction at all.  “How is this possible?” I asked softly, my voice just a notch over a whisper.  “I thought that you were supposed to . . . to leave while you were in a coma.”

Dannon shrugged nonchalantly, though you could see the confusion and happiness written all over his face.  “I don’t know,” he breathed.  “I’m sure the doctors will tell us.”

On cue a doctor came in, a concerned expression on his face.  When he saw Dannon awake he almost dropped his clipboard in shock.  “Dannon!” he exclaimed.  “You’re awake!”

Dannon smiled, the smile still present on his face.  “I am.”

The doctor, with wide eyes, consulted his clipboard as if it was going to help him any.  Dannon and I both watched silently as he did so, waiting patiently for him to speak.  “This is a pleasant surprise,” he murmured, smiling at us.  “We’ll do some tests to see how the cancer is, all right?”

Dannon nodded.  “All right.”  He looked at me, smiling.  “I’ll see you in a bit?”

I grinned, pressing my lips to his cheek.  “You bet.”