Chapter 44

"Brianne, what's wrong?  You've been quiet the whole ride home."

Instead of answering my mom like I probably should have, I opened the car door and pelted up the walkway.  I felt numb.  I couldn't even bring myself to cry right now even though I really wanted to.  "He's in a coma.  I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry."  Dannon wasn't dead, but it still felt like he was.  He wasn't here anymore.  He was gone.

Gone.

Gone.

Gone.

Gone.

"Brianne!"

Tears were now beginning to burn in my eyes.  The thought of never seeing Dannon's beautiful blue eyes again was almost too much to bear.  I wanted him to smile at me, to speak to me just one more time.  Even if it was the simplest word like my name.  I needed to hear his voice right now.

But I never would.  Never again.

"Brianne, what's wrong?"

I threw open the front door and stomped inside.  I glared around, absolutely loathing how normal it looked.  I wanted it to be pouring; I wanted it to be dark and depressing.  I wanted the world to know that things weren't okay.

"Dammit, Garrett!"

The excruciating silence was now complete pandemonium as I made my way into the living room.  How I hadn't heard the screams before, I would never know.  Garrett and my dad were fighting, shouting and throwing themselves into each other's faces.  I'd never seen my dad so angry before.  I sank onto the couch, staring at them silently, not able to bring myself to speak.

"Just because a few people decided it would be fun to pull a few pranks on you doesn't mean you need to destroy your education!" my dad hissed.

"They weren't pulling pranks, Dad!" Garrett hollered.  "They were bullying me!"

"And you let them win?" my dad growled.  "I raised you better than that, Garrett."

I was dumbfounded by my dad's actions.  Garrett had been bullied, and he was pissed at him for leaving?  I felt anger rising within me as the fight continued to escalate.  Garrett didn't deserve to be treated like this from his own parent.  At least my mom had stopped yelling when she realized why her son dropped out.

"Yeah, well, I'm sorry to disappoint you!" Garret screamed.  "I'm sorry that I'm not the son you always wanted.  Maybe this next child will finally turn out right!"

I couldn't take it anymore.  I stood up, throwing my hands into the air.  "Shut the hell up!" I yelled.  "Both of you!"

They turned to me, their faces frozen into shocked expressions.

"God, there are more important things in life than a fricken education!"  I glared at them.  "Dad, accept the fact that your son decided to leave before he decided to kill himself or something.  Dammit.  Don't you guys get it?  Before you know it everything you had—the people you loved—could be gone."

I collapsed back onto the couch, letting my head fall into my hands.  It was silent.  I could feel my family's stares burn through my skull, but I didn't care.  Let them stare.  Let them see how deep in despair I was.  Let them see.

"Brianne," Garrett whispered finally, falling onto the couch beside me.  "Brianne, what happened at the hospital?"

I shook my head, the tears finally beginning to fall.  And now that they were coming, they weren't able to stop.  Soon I was wracked with sobs, leaning into Garrett.  He welcomed me, wrapping his arms tightly around me and cooing comforting things in my ear.  I could hear the utter confusion, the anxiety of not knowing what was wrong.  I wanted to tell him, but I couldn't.  The tears had taken over me.