Chapter 43

“Happy birthday to you!  Happy birthday to you!  Happy birthday to Dannon, happy birthday to you!”

Everyone clapped, laughing as Dannon attempted to blow out his birthday candles—failing miserably.  We were standing around Dannon’s hospital bed, celebrating his birthday.  The whole crew was here.  Shelley, Oliver, Garner, Paula, Meghan, and Kyla.  Everyone.  Shelley squealed, her fingers moving quickly as she snapped pictures with her digital camera.  You would never be able to tell that these people just found out about Dannon’s condition today, or that all of them had been crying just a few hours before. They all seemed happy.  So normal. 

“Thanks, guys,” Dannon said, smiling brightly.

“How does it feel to no longer be a teenager?” Oliver teased, wriggling his eyebrows.  “You’re dating a minor, man!”

Kyla whacked his shoulder, laughing.  Dannon glanced at me and smiled.  I smiled back.  I’d forgotten that today Dannon was no longer a minor.  He was an adult.  Not that that changed anything.  He would still be the immature, stupid, amazing guy that everyone loved.

“Men are so stupid,” Shelley muttered with an eye roll.  “Anyway, what piece do you want, Dannon?”

In an instant people were calling pieces of cake left and right.  Dannon didn’t care what piece he got, while Garner and Oliver refused to have any unless they were end pieces.  But, to their dismay, Paula, Kyla, and Meghan also wanted end pieces.  That started the argument that Oliver should give up his end piece because his girlfriend wanted one.

My friends were really something.

I plopped next to Dannon, scooting close to him.  He draped an arm over my shoulders, pulling me closer.  “Where’s Tom?” I asked softly.

Dannon smiled.  “He left to the cafeteria a little while ago.  He’s going to be shocked when he comes in here to find a bunch of teenagers arguing over cake.”

I pursed my lips.  “We really should have waited until he got back.”

Dannon shook his head.  “Nah, it’s fine.”

We were both silent for a moment as we turned to watch our friends argue.  I couldn’t believe that in such a short time, these people had become so important in my life.  I couldn’t imagine my life without them now.  These people had become my family.  People that I cherished and couldn’t live without.

“Thank you,” I whispered suddenly, turning to face Dannon again.

Dannon’s eyebrows drew together in confusion.  “For what?”

I smiled, kissing him briefly on the lips.  “For introducing me to these nimrods, for sticking with me no matter how many times I tried to push you away, and for making me laugh like crazy in your presentation video.”

I laughed as Dannon’s cheeks burned.  “Aw, hon, I know you don’t like blushing, but getting vengeance and making me blush is so uncalled for!” Dannon whined, rubbing his cheeks frantically to get the red off.  I laughed, leaning back on the bed post.  He was so damn cute sometimes!

“It’s not my fault,” I sputtered out between giggles.

Dannon groaned, closing his eyes and letting his head fall back.  He popped an eye open slightly, shooting me a half-smile.  “Butthead,” he mumbled playfully, closing his eye again briefly before opening them fully again.

“Ah, but you love me anyway.”  I grinned, stretching my arms out in front of me.

“Ah, that I do.”  Dannon shook his head, his smile bright on his face.  “That is not something I can control.”