Chapter 29

“Brianne, if this is some sick joke to make me happy, I swear to G—”

I crossed my arms over my chest, glaring at Kyla as she paced back and forth. I was lying across my bed, my legs propped up on the wall. My hair fell down the side of the bed, making me feel like I was bald. I didn’t why I felt bald whenever I did that, but I did. And it made the world seem upside down. “You really think that I would kid around with something like this?”

The second I came home I’d called Kyla and explained to her in a sickeningly dreamy voice about what happened.  Kyla, being the craziest girl that I knew, decided that she needed to drive herself over here just to see if I was telling her the truth about Dannon and me.  Yeah, because I was one to say, “OMG I have a boyfriend!” and be kidding.  Yep, totally.

Kyla sighed. She stopped pacing and stared at me intently. “I have a hard time believing you.”

I grumbled under my breath before crossing my arms over my chest and scowling at her.  “Would you like me to go through every single detail about how he made me chase him to a tree and then turned me so that I was the one facing the tree and then asked me for permission to kiss me? Or would you like me to go further and explain how he was still hesitant and I had to reassure him with a nod, letting him know that we both wanted it? Or, one step further now, would you like me to explain about how—?”

“Okay, okay!”  Kyla shrieked, holding up her hands.  “Breathe, woman!”  She paused, her eyebrows rising. “Wait. You were about to describe the kiss in full detail. Go on."

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head.  “You lost your chance there, Strutters.”

Kyla glared daggers.  “What happened to that discussion we had before you started hating on Oliver's last name? I thought we mutually agreed that you would never call me by my last name again.”

I cocked an eyebrow.  “I never agreed to such thing. I just started making fun of Oliver’s last name.”

Kyla, deciding to ignore that comment, plopped on the bed beside me. “So . . . you and Dannon kissed,” she drew out, as though needing another conformation.

I was rather shocked that she wasn't bouncing up and down right now. I told her I had a crush on the guy and she went ballistic. Now we were together—as in together—and there was no reaction at all. Maybe she was in shock.  “Yes, we did. And then he asked me out.”

Kyla made a noise that sounded like lips smacking together.  Slowly she looked down at her, her eyes meeting mine.  They stayed trained one me for a few long moments before suddenly flying off the bed, bouncing up and down.  I stared at her, wide-eyed as she shrieked, “Oh my gosh!  There is a God! God is great, God is awesome! God is the freaking Lord!” at the top of her lungs. 

I continued to stare at her, baffled at the amount of information my friend possessed.  What shocked me even more was that she of all people was crying out about God’s greatness (which was something she rarely partook in).  Who knew that Dannon and I becoming a couple would bring her closer to God?  I didn’t. 

Her excitement finally came to a close, and she let out a long sigh.  Her actions reminded me of a rock melting into magma and then cooling.  I bit my lip to keep from laughing as I suddenly visualized her melting all over the floor, still proclaiming her new-found love for the Lord.  “This is awesome,” she mumbled, falling back onto the bed beside me.  I scrunched my nose in disgust as her hair flew into my face.  “Did you tell everyone else yet?”

I brushed her hair off my face, not answering.  I thought the stupid smile that seemed permanently stuck on my face was proof enough that I had, in fact, received my first kiss.  They hadn’t said anything as I journeyed up the stairs, but they’d stared with expressions of awe on their faces.  That meant that they understood, right?  Or maybe not.