Chapter 24

“Do I even want to know why you’re wet?”

These were the first words that my mom uttered to me once Garrett, Dannon, Kyla, and I met her and my dad by the bleachers.  They’d decided to sit by themselves so we could enjoy ourselves without having the pressure of parental vision on our backs.  Not to mention the embarrassing jokes they’d probably make.

Dannon and I glanced sideways at each other as Kyla and Garrett burst into a fit of guffaws.  They knew this was going to happen, and had told us so on our way outside.  The whole way back, in the middle of all the inappropriate jokes Kyla and Garrett supplied, I’d been trying to figure out whether I wanted my parents to know the reason why we were wet.  I still wasn’t sure.

“Why do you think they’re wet?” Garrett mused, wriggling his eyebrows.

My brother was such a pervert.

My mom shook her head, letting out a long breath of air.  “I don’t have the slightest idea.”

Dannon adjusted his backpack’s strap on his shoulder.  In the back of my mind I wondered how wet his bag was getting right now.  But these thoughts were easily devoured by the major thought running through my head: if Dannon was going to explain this situation or not.  I didn’t really expect him to.  If he thought that it would get me in trouble—like with the apple incident—his mouth would stay shut.

But, we couldn’t exactly hide this one with a project.

“Brianne tripped in the shower and I helped her up,” Dannon explained, half-lying. 

Well, at least there was some truth to that.

My mom stared at Dannon blankly for a moment before tossing a pointed look in my direction.  “Why were you hanging around the showers?” she demanded, her eyes testing me to answer the question incorrectly.

“There were sweaty men, Ma!” I shrieked.  “Did you expect me to sit there and stare at them?”

That got everyone laughing.  I sighed internally, glad that the excuse worked.  Though, like Dannon’s, my excuse had some truth to it as well. 

My mom shook her head as her laughter came to a stop.  “Only my child. . . .”

I huffed not at all finding the humor in the fact that I’d almost fallen to my death.  If Dannon hadn’t caught me right before I fell on the floor, my head would have been bashed in.  Was that funny?  Well, according to my family members, yes.  “Now that we’ve established that I’m an idiot, can we please leave?” I demanded, crossing my arms over my chest.  Damn, it was freezing.

And once again, I was deemed the most hilarious one there.

When my family and friends decided that my suggestion wasn’t funny anymore, they agreed that it was time to go.  We headed to our cars, Dannon separating from us with the promise that he would give Kyla and me a ride to the movies tomorrow.  Not only that, but he’d also give us a ride home tomorrow!  Oh, yaaaay. 

“It’s amazing how many people enjoy going to school this late on a Friday night,” I muttered in an irritated voice under my breath as we struggling through the swarms of people toward our car.  Why hadn’t everyone left yet?  I mean, really?  It didn’t take that long for people to leave, did it?

What can I say?  Crowds pissed me off.

“Lighten up, Bri,” Garrett teased, shoving me playfully on the shoulder.