CHAPTER 006

Nick took a glance at the digital clock hanging over his head, it was thirty-one minutes past twelve. He turned around and buried his face in his pillow. His shoulder was killing him and it was worse since he stopped taking his prescription drugs, they made him fell drowsy and mostly tired and he didn’t like that feeling especially now he was going to begin working again. But the alternative was insomnia which somehow was almost worse but if he really wanted to get back to work, he needed to find a balance without the drugs.
He got out of bed and took out a bottle of water from the mini fridge, he took a gulp and looked back at the clock, twelve thirty-three. Just two minutes had passed.
He decided it would be futile going back to bed so he decided to help himself with a cup of coffee and then he thought about going to the kitchen and then his thoughts went back to Samantha Baker. He had spent time with her the past two nights he had gone downstairs in the middle of the night and for some reason the idea of her being there again tonight thrilled him more than it should.
There was something really wrong with him, he had spent most of the day with her and had had nothing to tell her but the minute they had come home and had parted ways he had actually missed her.

Nick told himself it didn’t mean anything when he walked into the kitchen and the place that used to provide solitude and peace now felt empty.
“Fuck!” he muttered under his breath, this was not normal, not at all.
He put the coffee maker on, that was after all what he had come to do right?
He had barely sat down when he heard,
“Hi”

SAMMY TOLD HERSELF as she tiptoed downstairs that the only reason she was going was because she needed a glass of water. With the amount of fluids leaving her body it was only right that she replenished. She was just going to go grab a glass of water and then head back to bed despite who may or may not be there.
Of course he was there, she watched him set the coffee maker and then sit down,
“Hi” she said and watched him get up from his chair before replying her
“Hi”
“I wanted to grab a glass of water” she told him without waiting to be asked,
He looked at the refrigerator and then sat down.
Sammy’s leg felt heavy as she walked to the fridge, she could feel his eyes on her which made her mostly uncomfortable and a bit nervous.
“Your test results will be ready by tomorrow” he said while she drank her water
“Oh. So fast,” that was a good thing, at least now she could go back to home to New York.
“You could come with me to pick it up if you wanted”
Did she want? Did she want to be stuck in a car ride with him again? It didn’t really matter, he could give her a ride to town since he was already going.
She turned to face him
“Yes. I mean, I have to go into town tomorrow and since you are going you could drop me off”
“You are going into town?” he asked
“Yes. Alex asked me to pick out a gift for Charlie’s baby shower”
“Do you have anything in mind?” he asked as the coffee maker beeped, he stood up a went over to the machine
“Not really,” she had never been to a baby shower before. What did people usually get?
“and you, what did you get?” she asked him and watched him take his sweet time pouring his coffee and taking a sip from it.
“Luca had this stuffed elephant my mother got him, he had it for the longest of time. Even as a teenager I remember that elephant still being in his room. It was like his comfort… everything. So I tracked down the company that makes it here in America and had them inscribe Charlie’s favourite quote, so it’ll be a part of both parents for the baby”
Wow.
“That’s so thoughtful” she said returning her glass cup,
she had been unsure of what to get now this just made it worse.
“good night” she said and turned to leave.
She was almost out of the kitchen when her stomach growled, she paused and turned around to see that Niklaus was staring at her, probably horrified the sound that came from her insides
“That’s embarrassing” she said and felt her cheeks heat up
“Did you have dinner?” he asked,
“yes, I ate with Charlie and Luca after we came back” that was several hours ago
He shook his head at her
“you don’t eat enough, you are too small” that only added to her embarrassment,
Sammy knew she wasn’t like most girls, curvy or full but she had never had any problems with her figure. At least not until Niklaus McCarthy had used the word small to describe her with a frown on his face.
“I’m not that small” she told him hating that she sounded a bit defensive
“Trust me you are. As a matter of fact, you look like a malnourished boy and sometimes I wonder what my brother saw in you”
It was the words as well as the condescending way he said it. A slap on her face would have stung less, suddenly Sammy felt so small. So the reason they doubted she was carrying Jason’s child was because they didn’t think Jason would bed someone that looked like her.
“I should go to bed, I feel tired” and nauseous and she didn’t want to cry in front of him because she really did feel like she was going to cry.
“Sit down, I’ll make you something to eat”
“Don’t worry I’m…”
“Sit down” he repeated and this time he wasn’t asking and like a good little girl she obeyed.
More like foolish little girl.