CHAPTER 017

"You turned down the money?" a very angry looking Nick asked Samantha barely two hours after her conversation with Jason.
"I don't think it's any of your business but yes, I decided I don't want to be the gold digger your family decided I am. You decided I am" she didn't care how angry he was or what his opinions on her decision were. She shouldn't even be talking to him right now, not after the way he had spoken to her last night, the things he had said.
"I never called you a gold digger" he denied
"You didn't need to say the words aloud, to you I am the girl who deliberately got knocked up by your brother and just to get my claws into your family fortune"
"So you are going to punish me by punishing yourself?" how he could still make her feel so stupid with just that one look was beyond her.
"I'm not punishing myself, I don't need the money. I have never seen a million dollars in my life before, never had need for it and never will" she told him.
"The money is not for now, it is for when my brother finally realises and I'm sure he will and then he'll leave you"
"When he realises what exactly? That I'm not good enough?" how could one person make her feel all these emotions? A week ago, she was sure that she was almost in love with him, yesterday she had been so angry with him and then today? Today, she was sure she had never hated anyone more than she hated Niklaus McCarthy at this moment.
A man who berates her this way, time and time again.
"I didn't say that"
"It doesn't matter, I got it" she took a deep breath,
"But I wonder why you came to me, since I'm not good enough, why would you sleep with me?"

"What!"
They both turned simultaneously to find Alex standing by Sammy's door.
"Alex" Nick called going to her immediately,
"What did she just say right now?" Alex asked coming in properly into the room.
"You don't understand," Nick began
"I understand that she said that you two slept together, can you please explain"
That was the last thing Sammy heard from Alex before the pain started, she was sure Nick said something else but she could barely make it out, it sounded distant, faint and she couldn't concentrate on anything but the overwhelming cramping pain from her stomach.
She clutched the lower part of her belly when it felt like the pain was coming from there and then it was everywhere, intensifying by the second.
'The baby' she thought as she closed her eyes. She wanted to scream, she thought she was going to but nothing came out.
She bit her lips hard, hard enough she drew blood, her legs became wobbly she couldn't stand anymore, she tried to reach for anything to hold on to but she was in the middle of the bedroom.
"Nick?" she called at the same time she felt the liquid trickle down her thigh.
Nick turned around to look at her, she was there half standing, she looked pale and like she was in physical pain.
"Samantha are you okay?" he asked, he was already by her side.
His eyes followed hers to the blood on the floor in droplets,
"I don't think so" he was hauling her into his arms before she was done talking.

** * ***

Sammy woke up with a slight headache and a little confusion, she was in a hospital bed, in a hospital gown. She sat up and placed a hand to her head as if that would do anything to ease her pain.
She took herself to the last thing she remembered which was the gut-wrenching pain in her belly and the blood!
Her hands immediately flew to her stomach, headache forgotten.
'oh God' she hoped her child was okay.
She had barely finished sending the thought out before a nurse strode in,
"Oh, you're awake" she said coming to stand by the bed.
"I was just going to check your vitals" she informed Sammy before picking up what Sammy made out to be a notepad.
"What happened?" Sammy asked her while she wrote
"We have managed to get the bleeding under control but the dosage of the drug you took was a bit off"
the confusion was back, what did she mean by the drugs you took? Sammy wondered.
"I'll go get the doctor" she said and was gone before Sammy could even ask her to explain what she was saying.
The stubby looking doctor came in exactly two minutes after the nurse left, it was hard not to notice how it looked like the buttons on the belly part of his shirt were working overtime just to stay in place and that one deep breath might just send them flying.
"Hi, I'm doctor Pitcher" he said with a weird smile on his face,
"how are you feeling?" he asked
Sammy took a deep breath,
"Confused" tired and a little sore
"the nurse said something about a drug, I don't understand"
"The toxicology report shows there are traces of mifepristone in your system" the doctor explained.
"I don't understand" she told the doctor
Mifepristone. Sammy only knew the drug because after she got pregnant, she and Vicky had explored multiple options on how to deal with it, said drug was one of the options they had explored at the time. Not that she had ever taken it or intended to, so what was it doing in her system.
"We managed to get the bleeding under control but I would still like to keep you for supervision overnight" the doctor continued.
"What do you mean mifepristone?" she asked
"It's a drug that is usually used to stop a pregnancy in the first ten weeks" basically an abortion drug
"I know what it means but why do you say there are traces in my system?" she asked
Dr Pitcher looked almost as confused as she was,
"It means you ingested it in the last twenty four hours"
"What? I didn't... I did not... what?"
the baby!
"How is my baby?" and why was he looking at her like she was crazy.
"The cramps you felt earlier was the foetus leaving"
Sammy let out a strangled cry, the only thing she was understanding from what the doctor was saying was that she lost her baby.
"My baby is gone?" she said more to herself as the tightening in her chest began, she was having another panic attack.