Chapter 19

Matthew POV:

Today was the day.

I decided to finally get a DNA test after months of avoiding Jenna like the plague. I had finally convinced her to take the pregnancy announcement down after she put up a fight about it.

It was time to see if I was going to be a father.

I was nervous, the results of this would change my life forever. I don't want to be a father.

To prevent any funny business, I chose the laboratory that would be performing the test.

"Mr. Jackson?" The voice of the male nurse made me look up and stand.

"Follow me please." He continued down the corridor until he opened the door and gestured for me to go in.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as I sat in the reclining chair.

"Anxious," I answered, rubbing my hands together after I handed him the clipboard with the paperwork I filled out.

The nurse scanned the paperwork before handing me a water bottle and telling me to drink it.

Once I finished, he took a sample of my blood and measured my heart rate and blood pressure.

"Your iron levels and heart rate are good. I'm going to take your blood pressure now." He brought the stand with the blood bag attached to it. Then he tightened the blood pressure cuff and grabbed some gauze and the needle.

"Which arm?" He asked with the needle in his hand.

"My left arm." I held it out for him.

He searched my left arm for any open veins then rested my arm on the armchair. The nurse found a vein in no time and disinfected the area before checking on me.

"Are you ready Mr. Jackson?" He asked kindly.

"I'm ok...Kevin." I finally looked at his badge. An overwhelming sense of fear settled in my body and I wanted to leave. I was scared of the needle. I wanted Vanessa. She would calm me down.

"Looking away helps." Nurse Kevin calmly suggested. And that's when he saw my wedding ring. He did nothing but stare at it for a moment until he gathered himself.

I did as he recommended and I could feel the needle pierce my skin. An uncomfortable feeling radiated from my arm as the needle rested in my veins.

I sat there for fifteen minutes as my blood went through the tube and entered the test tubes. Kevin did nothing but side-eye me. He knows why I'm here. A filthy married man getting a DNA test on a baby that doesn't belong to his wife.

Kevin gently took the needle out and wrapped my arm in gauze.

I was handed juice and more water as I had to rest for twenty minutes. I couldn't wait to leave to go home and sleep off my anxiety and stress.

My phone dinged and I looked at it to see the text message I got. I almost shouted in joy.

I had a breakthrough in my quest to get Vanessa back. Phase 1 of my plan begins today. A wide grin spread across my face.

"How long will the results take?" I asked quickly. I was on top of the world right now. Nothing could stop me, especially with what was to come.

"The results should be ready within the next three weeks or so." That's too long.

"I'd like the results expedited." I insisted.

"This will cost extra." He continued to look at me sideways.