20. talk

...

nene's pov

it was now 2:30 in the afternoon. rui hadn't gone to school. i picked up my school bag and started to walk towards rui's apartment.

to most people, they might think rui's reaction to this situation is over the top, but he's been through plenty of social issues. he's always been labeled as the 'weird kid' for having such fascination over robots and such. i was his only friend, and he was mine.

when i finally reached the apartment door, i reached into my pocket for the spare key he gave me a long time ago. i unlocked the door and walked in.

it was dark, and all the windows were shut. i started towards his closed bedroom door. i knocked and made my way inside.

rui was sitting on the floor holding a small invention in his palms.

"what do you need..?" he quietly spoke. i took a seat next to him.

"she's worried about you y'know."

"why? she has hiro."

"she rejected him."

"no she didn't. they kissed."

"he kissed her dummy."

"..."

"she's been sitting in sekai ever since."

"..."

"c'mon, you still have a chance. you can confess to her during our next show."

"maybe."

"no. you will."

"when is our next show?"

"next week."

"alright.. i'll try."

a small smile begins growing on both our faces.

"y'know, i got together with emu."

"really?"

"yeah, we got ice cream and she asked me."

"that's cute."

suddenly, my phone buzzes. rui looks down at the device next to my hand. i reach for it and check the notification. it was a projection from miku. i clicked on it and placed my phone on the floor.

"rui! i'm glad you're doing alright! i wanted to ask, do you think you can make it to next week's show?" miku grins at the sight of rui.

"yes, i'll be able to go. actually- is it alright if i..."

y/n pov

"y/n, come on! i'm sure rui's ok. let's go play with the plushies, maybe they'll help clear your mind for a while." len takes my hand and pulls me up.

"alright, just for today though." i give in. despite the bad mood i was in, i couldn't say no to len.

we made our way towards the train in the sky that took us to where most of the plushies resided. once we got there, all the plushies jumped in excitement.

"y/n!! len!!" they all jumped and yelled about, one of them hugging my arm.

i smiled and greeted them. i guess it wouldn't be so bad to cheer up a bit.

"y/n! is it true that you and miku tasted the special chocolate?" one plushie asked me. "i heard that meiko makes the specially from her shop!!"

"yea, we did! it tasted amazing and smelt like fresh coffee." i said as i remembered the taste of the sweet snack.