rotting gardenias

flower horror, implied self harm, oh me, oh my!

description from ao3:

very obvious i have no mouth and i must scream reference

(or, more flower au. caine's starting to not like gardenias that much.)

(honestly this is fun to write for lol)

────────────

As he sat upon his bed in the sickly sweet air of his room, Caine had found himself surrounded by an uprooted garden of crimson gardenias, torn out and thrown aside.

...

It seemed to happen overnight, one tiny blossom multiplying into a garden that grew not in earth, but in one's own flesh.

At first, he'd dismissed it as just another peculiarity in his world. That was a foolish decision, as he now found himself tearing out the flowers one by one at every chance he could get. An agonizing process, but it was necessary to keep them at bay.

Nevertheless, the blossoms persisted as the garden spread across the insides of his arms, bunching together in old scars. He was lucky his coat was already a shade of red, otherwise the stains brought forth by the opened gashes would be far more noticeable.

He felt the need to put up a defense and hide away his garden, despite the overgrowth evident in everyone else around him. It was getting harder to hide them by the day as roots grew towards bruises and buds blossomed from once-closed wounds, but he still managed to conjure up a lie whenever one was needed.

A petal from my sleeves? That's just for another act, my dear!

Bloodstains on the floor, you say? It seems I've had a bit of an...accident. The show must go on, though! It's none of your concern.

A...'strange smell'? Why, that's...my new cologne! Yes, yes...

Lies, lies, lies.

...

Tossing aside another flower plucked from his arm, he sighed as he held his knees and stared at the singular flower that rested in the place a heart was meant to be, putting a hand to the slightly-crushed petals.

"...I THINK I'M STARTING TO HATE THE SMELL OF GARDENIAS." He muttered to himself, gripping onto his coat that lay to the side and watching as a wound gave forth another bleeding blossom.

────────────

The flowers are a physical manifestation of traumas and physical/mental "hurt". The flower starts somewhere in the chest (representing an emotional trauma) and spreads from there. flowers will bloom on open wounds and roots will grow towards things like bruises. The flowers grow a lot more (and a lot bloodier!) if the bearer feels negative emotions (the stronger the distress the bloodier it gets). The flowers can only rlly stop if the bearer actually confronts what's causing the overgrowth in the first place. By the way did i mention how painful this is ^_^