Chapter Eleven: The Outpost

Joseph looked out the large observation window to the distant star he called Sol. He was stationed on the outpost called Pol 231, positioned between Alpha Centauri and his home sun. It was a thankless sentry job but a necessary one. Without these outposts earth would be blind to a Surrinnons attack. 

The Surrinnons were a parasitic race that never grew out of the consuming stage of an intelligent species evolution. After they gutted their home planet and solar system they spread across the stars looking for more things to fuel their growing empire. It was about a couple of millennia after that they encountered the Alannos. The two have been in constant war for the last century, and now we are part of that war too.

You'll think that we would stay out of another species' war, especially since we have so many problems back home but learning that the Surrinnons were only several star systems away from us is a really good motivator. And that is why Joseph was here with his team on this lonely outpost. 

But Joseph had his own problems as he watched silently out of the observatory lounge, staring out into the dark starry void. In his right hand was a darken digital pad and a somber look on his face. Then on the other side of the room the door swooshed open but the young man did not stir. 

"Joseph, there you are! The crew have been looking for you all day. We were worried when you didn't show up for lunch and…" the buff yet soft Alanno stomped through the observatory until halfway through, coming to a stop seeing the depressed man. "Is something wrong?" 

The man didn't answer, continuing to look out the large glass dome

The man didn't answer, continuing to look out the large glass dome. The fiery red head Alanno with twisted white horns looked at her comrade inquisitively. She took a couple of steps forward, stopped, then took a couple more until she was standing near him but not too close as to alarm him.

"If there is anything wrong you can tell your best friend Yeoj." She grinned proudly, pointing to herself. There was a moment of silence before Joseph finally spoke up. 

"My wife is filing a divorce." Joseph said flatly, his voice devoid of emotions. Yeoj's heart sank at the news. She had never known Joseph's wife personally, but she had heard him talk about her and their kids enough to know that he loved them deeply.

Yeoj lost her smile and looked concernedly at her friend. "I'm… I'm sorry."

"Don't be, it's common for guys in my line of work to lose relationships." Despite his words a single tear betrayed his emotions. 

Yeoj felt a wave of anger rise up in her. How could someone do this to Joseph? He was one of the kindest and most dedicated people she had ever met. She couldn't stand to see him in pain like this. Yeoj was too afraid to ask but she had to ask. "And your kids?"

"She's taking them." Joseph's voice cracked.

"That's not right!" Yeoj snapped. "You have gushed about your kids ever since you got here. You made weekly calls with them trying to be a good father! You're going to fight her, right?" She asked with a slight growl in her throat. 

"I can't, she scheduled the court hearing when I'm still stationed here in one week time. My unavailability will count as an absentee." His voice was unstable as he tightened his grip on the pad.

"What?! She can't do that!"

Joseph didn't say anything as his body began to shake. Yeoj can clearly see how much he was trying to keep everything in.

"What are you going to do?"

"These are my kids and I love them. So I'm willing to abandon my post just to be there," Joseph said coldly, holding in his hatred inside.

"But you'll be court martialed! you could be thrown into prison for that," exclaimed Yeoj. She couldn't stand to see a good man like Joseph be put away for protecting his children.

"I have no choice, either I lose my job or my kids," Joseph said as another tear fell down his face. 

"No, you do! I-I- I'll go in your stead!" Blurted out Yeoj. Joseph quickly turned to the Alanno, his eyes bloodshot red, looking confused. Yeoj's ears turn red. "Yea! I'll vouch for you! I'm out on shore leave at that time anyway, I can go to the courtroom and fight for your kids!" She said proudly, pounding her large chest. 

"What?! You can't, this is my family's problem and it's my responsibility to fix it!" Joseph shot back.

"And as your best friend it's my responsibility to help a buddy out!" Yeoj growled, taking a strong step forward. 

With an intense gaze the two looked at each other's eyes, not blinking for a single moment as they stared each other down. After a minute Joseph blinked and Yeoj smirked. 

"Ha, you blinked. Now you have to do as I say," she said triumphantly.

"No fair I had something in my eyes," Joseph whined as he rubbed his tired and wet eyes. He then turned back to the tall Alanno and smiled. "Thanks, I need that."

"You're my friend and I want what's best for you, and what's best is for you to keep your job and your kids. Don't worry I won't embarrass you too much in the court," she said as her smile turned more jovial.

"But really, you're willing to do this for me?" Joseph asked as tears began to form again. 

Yeoj grabbed him and brought him into a strong hug. "Of course, you deserve happiness. I'll do anything for you bud. Besides I want to get a good look at your ex-wife," Yeoj grinned wickedly. "Now let's get you something to eat and we'll talk over what I need to do."

"Thank you, I don't know where I'll be without you."

"Oh don't worry, you are exactly where you need to be," her smile grew bigger.