Old Wounds

If the situation wasn't so grim,Roze would've marveled at the captivating light...

The sky flashed a brilliant orange,a result of the large mushroom cloud that barreled closer and closer as the ensuing shockwave knocked their bird out of the sky,stealing her consciousness...

Lungs rattling,she woke with a smoky start,halted by the ruined cabin that had trapped and burned through her pant leg...She shoved it off with a grunt,basically propping herself halfway out the side of the heli,only to widen her eyes at the scene below her.

The Pave Low they were in had lodged itself a story up into a business,allowing her a vantage to fully grasp the destruction down the leveled streets below.

A lump remained in her throat with the state of shock."Roze to Base,what's your status? in—" Static greeted her so she switched frequency.

"Kilo 0-2 in the blind,how copy?" More static,even through five tries.

"...K4-1,available to assist?" She still had one last hope...

...

Seconds passed and the reality of the situation sunk in,furthering when a second explosion occurred,fresh smoke billowing from one of many downed birds.

It was there she witnessed a NEST unit,basking in the residual light—their last glimpse of their failure playing out before their own world went dark.

A groan was heard from below,but she couldn't see from her position.Standing with renewed vigor,the woman steeled herself to drop down onto to what was once a scrapyard,splaying onto the ground in a injured heap.

Nothing could've prepared her for the sight that greeted when she dropped..Roze only observed in disbelief—

"Hey...Roze,you made it to—cough*..." He held a hand to his neck and yanked,allowing his tags to hang free from his hand."make sure ya' take these if you get through,one..of us—gotta—g—get back..somehow."

Tears stung her eyes warningly,but she shambled her way on until she could no longer walk,her legs and ribs forced her to a crouch.

The dying lieutenant fought to sit upward,holding a stray metal rod that penetrated his chest cavity, his final twitches of life then...nothing.She didn't even react to his choking once the blood had filled his lungs..

It was surreal,her eyes unfocused in pain in an apparent trance.the surrounding smoke, the unmistakable scent of blood and fire..

"Fuck!"She slammed her hands into the ground and pushed herself on,only pausing once she arrived at his cooling palms.

Too late.her palms bled,but dulled with the burst of emotion.

"Fair winds,Delta-1."She felt a stinging sensation in her eyes,tears falling to the sands of Urzikstan as she held him to her body desperately.

She yanked the tags and pocketed them.It was useless,she was useless right now,Roze accepted it as she watched;blood flowing freely out and around his fatigues,reaching down the length of her own jacket sleeves.

Her eyes were on fire,so much so it made full on tears an impossibly painful feat.It distracted from the pain from the aftermath at the very least.

The pool around her only seeped further,even as she wringed it out.The ranger lost her footing in the liquid,"landing dazedly on her back in the same position as her fallen captain.

Roze tore the noisy transmitter from her ear,accepting her fate then.It seemed perfectly set.A perfect place to call it...