Chapter 9

Victor

Today had been one of those days for me. The days days that haunt me down. The memories I don't want to remember. Not even for a bit. But then again, the memories that are part of me. I know I can't escape it. Today is among the days. I was flitting sweating as I jolted up from the bed. My chest heaving up and down. I quickly slide open the nightstand drawers and took out my inhaler.

My breathing began calming down after I perceived the substances. I held my head with both my palms as I tried to steady myself. As an asthmatic person, I tend to get triggered by my memories rather than the things invading one's breathing. It had left an impact on me. Seeing my mother fighting for her life in the fire while I couldn't do anything. I couldn't save her. Father locked us up in the room all in the name of anger.

My phone buzzed beside me making me to let out a hiss. It was this moment that I don't like anyone disturbing me. Dylan's name was plastered on the screen. I ignored it knowing it will be one of his unserious talk. The call came through again. I didn't pick until the third time. "I thought you won't pick. I would've kept calling" He said the moment I placed the phone to my ears.

"If you don't have anything serious to say I'm hanging up" I said in a low tone.

"Wow. Don't tell me you're not going to go ahead with the marriage. When everything is set already"

Wait... Marriage? Elena and I are getting married today. How it slipped off my mind. "Can you hear me or do I have to go to the radio station and broadcast it"

"I will be there in an hour" I answered hanging up the call. I threw the phone towards the other side of the bed and took a route to the bathroom.

I drove to the court straightaway. Elena's family are already there. Same goes to my parents. There would be eye witness. So that if anything goes wrong even though I don't pray for that. I met up with Dylan on the entrance door. "Why must you have to arrive late on your wedding day"

I threw him a glare. "But I still show up right?" I said hissing on the accord. He raised his arms in surrender.

Different pairs of eyes landed on us as we stepped inside the room. The first person my eyes stopped on was Elena. She was looking quite different. Should I add that she had a new hairstyle. From my side, I didn't make any plan. Okay, maybe I bought a new suit. At least I should look presentable. "Hello" I cracked out with a wave not having an idea on how to react.

"We're here waiting for you and you're saying hello. Come take your seat" Father uttered signaling me with his eyes. I couldn't help but chuckle a bit.

I grabbed the empty seat that was next to Elena. From the corner of my eyes, I saw her rolling her eyes. "By the way you're looking pretty" I muffled out in a low tone. No one will tell I even mention anything.

"I don't need your compliment. Just mind your business. Let's get this done with" I expected the harsh reply from her. Only if she knew what I'm planning on her.

"What's the rush. When you're going to be my wife after all" She turned around and met my gaze. Something flashed in her eyes. Anger. I formed my lips into a thin line and stared straight ahead.

"Since everyone is present let's get started" the judge commenced.

After all the paperwork and reading out terms and conditions, we finally signed the contract. I don't know why I felt lighthearted inside me. Not that I've achieved my goals yet but the fact that I'm getting closer to it. "Congratulations" the judge passed each of us a copy of the agreement.

"Thank you Sir" I was the only one that did the talking. Elena didn't even utter a word. I know she's insulting me inside. Maybe she felt the need to strangle me. Who knows. But that will be a talk for another time.

"Welcome to the family" Elena's father broke out as we shook hands. The look we gave each other was a knowing look. We have already agreed on what I will get when I become his son in law.

I spared Elena a glance that was talking to my parents. I have no idea what they were talking about since they're a bit far from us but I could tell my parent are telling her something good. "What is your next plan now?" I turned to Mr. Carter.

He heaved out sharp breath. "What do you think? I have to fulfill the promise from my end. And you will do that too"

"Rest assured Mr. Carter, I don't have any motive. As you know this is me helping you and..." My eyes shifted to Jaxon that was busy forming. His hand was tightly in a fist. "Protecting your family" I added with a light smile.

My parents left after exchanging few words with Mr. Carter. Then Jaxon that went away to drop something in the car. "Here" Mr. Carter stretched out his hand. My brows creased in question.

"A gift" With my eyes still on him, I collected the keys from his outstretched hands. "A key to your new house"

I found myself letting out a chuckle. "I have a house that will occupy the two of us"

"I know. But Elena won't be able to adjust to that. You know..."

Wait... What is the man trying to say? That I won't be able to give his daughter the luxury she's used to. "You don't have to worry about that. Your daughter won't be deprived of her freedom. But since you're worried, I will accept this. Thank you" the man nodded in answer.

"Sir, the car is ready" the driver announced. "Make sure you keep your promise. I don't want any harm to come to my daughter" Mr. Carter said again.

I nodded my head letting out a smile. I approached Elena and her brother. "Sorry to cut your conversation. We're ready to leave"

Jaxon passed me a look of disdain while Elena hissed out. I could only smile. After all, I don't allow myself to show my real emotions. "Let me tell you this" Jaxon commenced marching forward. "If I hear any complain from my sister. Even for the tiniest bit, I won't go easy on you"

"Is that a warning or threat?" I asked folding my arms across my chest.

"I don't care whatever you take it as. I've said my mind. Take care of yourself Elena" And he walked past me not before brushing my shoulder. Well, I don't blame them. All the family members are full of spite.

"Do you have anything to say from your end?" I asked Elena.

She glared at me. "Even if I have, I won't waste it on you" With that she unlocked the front door and got in.

The driver was about to get in when I stopped him. "Don't worry. Give me the car key. I will drive us home" He was skeptical at first but seeing the look in my eyes, he handed me the key.

"What are you doing? Is the driver not supposed to be the one driving us?" Elena attacked me as soon as I entered the car.

"It's not necessary. When I can drive? When I'm your husband and your bodyguard"

"Wait... Hold it there. Don't give me that talk. We're just husband and wife on paper but not in reality. Just do your job"

"Right. We are. But we're still legally married"

"Not to me. Not Elena Carter" She replied almost immediately. I wanted to say more but knowing she won't back out, I shut my mouth and drove away. No words were spoken between us up to our destination.

I was waiting for her to come out of the car yet she was still seated inside. I knocked on the window and she gestured for me to open the door. If I know she did that on purpose, I wouldn't have opened the door. "Wow" Her eyes roamed around the surrounding.

"Thought you will come up with something better. Turns out you have nothing" She said.

"What do you mean?"

"Exactly what you heard. I know this house belongs to my father. I'm glad father didn't make me go to your cheap house" I swallowed a lump in my throat. Hold it in Victor. I assured myself. I don't want to burst out. At least not yet.

Elena walked past me towards the entrance door. "Hand me the keys. I don't have the strength to waste with you"

"No" I uttered. She turned around and threw me a confused look. "No for?"

"We're not going to live in this house anymore. We're going to that cheap house. We're going to leave that cheap life. You and I"