CH. 3

THREE:

Monday, January 22nd
2:37 PM

• KLAUS •

I groaned deeply, shoving my fingers into my own torso to pull out Tunde's blade. To no avail could I reach far enough without the pain becoming unbearable. "Damn it. Camille? Camille!" I shouted for the woman.

"I'm here," she said, appearing behind me, legs crossed as she sat on the column. I slowly pushed off all fours to lean on my knees. "But if you're just gonna keep arguing—"

"I need your help," I admitted.

"I can't pull out that blade," she told me in a gentle tone. "Technically, I'm not even really here. You're the one who has to face your fears."

"Fine," I whispered, exasperated. "I will admit the truth. I do not wish to be the father I had, nor do I wish to be the father Marcel has come to loathe... Perhaps I am better as a myth. And my kids are better off without me. Is that enough? Or do you want more? Are you satisfied?"

Cami moved to sit beside me, her arm sliding around my shoulders. "Every parent is afraid of screwing up. Well, at least the good ones are. But your kids needs you. Now more than ever."

"Danielle and Hayley will protect them."

"And they'll do one hell of a job. But don't you think they deserve a father?" She asked. I opened my mouth to speak but I had nothing to say as I stared across the room. "Hey. Look at me," Cami instructed, her hand sliding to the back of my neck to turn my face towards hers in head away. "Yes, history could repeat itself. If you're not careful, it will. But you owe it to your children to try and change the narrative. For them and for you."

I stared into her eyes, finally taking her in. She may not be really here. But who she was to me was. She was... one of the most amazing people I had ever met. I was honored to be her friend, to know her.

***

Monday, January 22nd
2:49 PM

• DANIELLE •

"This looks familiar," I said pointing to the left as we came to a two way decision. I took off running, spotting the gate. "He's here!"

Elijah was on my heels with Freya and Hayley behind him. "Niklaus!" Elijah shouted as we got to the gate. I moved so he could open it. Only he couldn't do it. He pushed against it twice before Freya moved him out of the way, chanting under her breath. Seconds later she opened the gate wide to let us all in the room.

"Baby?" I called out as I rushed in after the siblings. My husband was uncomfortably, half laying, half propped up against the three foot tall column behind his back. His head cocked to the side uncomfortably and eyes closed.

"Niklaus," Elijah greeted. "We're here."

Freya stood next to me just outside the salt circle. She held her hands up against the invisible barrier. "This spell is strong. It's been reinforced over time, which means it's going to take time to break."

"We don't have time," I pointed out.

"I could try brute force. Overwhelm it. But I'll need someone to channel."

"I'll do it," Hayley offered. All eyes turned to her. "Elijah, you keep watch."

Me and the girls kneeled outside the barrier. Freya and Hayley holding hands as the witch started her spell. Elijah stood up, standing by the door to keep guard as instructed. Klaus groaned, eyes twitching but they didn't open.