CH. 14

FOURTEEN:

Friday, February 2nd
10:30 AM

• DANIELLE •

"Rebekah and Kol just landed. I just assured them we're mere moments from returning our brother to life. Don't make me a liar," Klaus huffed as he walked into the study where Freya, Hayley and I waited.

"I can't resurrect Elijah until I'm certain his mind is whole," Freya sighed.

"Well, you saved Finn with that very trinket," Klaus retorted, clearly annoyed. "What's the problem?"

"When that pendant was shattered, Elijah's mind shattered with it. He's most likely retreated to the innermost of his consciousness."

Klaus rolled his eyes then, throwing up his hands in exasperation. "How do we find that?" Hayley asked rationally, squeezing my hand she held. I had prior to this discussion apologized for my attitude yesterday morning. She was understanding on multiple accounts—I didn't care for Elijah and Klaus and I were fighting. She like I agreed that we had bigger issues and at the end of the day, she and I were best friends. We've been with each other for years now, through the worst and best times of our lives. A few poor word choices wasn't going to break our friendship.

"I don't know. It could be anywhere in over a thousand years of memories, but if I try fixing the pendant before finding him and healing his mind; he'll be permanently fractured, like casting a broken bone before it's been properly set," Freya said.

"Spare me the medical analogies and fix him," Klaus snapped.

"Baby," I spoke up, giving him a pleading look to be nice. His blue eyes narrowed on me and the annoyance remained on his face as he shook his head no at me.

"I need to go inside and find him. Once I'm sure his mind is stable, then I can fix the pendant," Freya informed us all.

"Well, then stop talking and get in there," Klaus ordered.

"Klaus? Take a walk, get some air. Let her work. Please," Hayley groaned, irritated as well.

Then she gave me a pleading look herself. I nodded back at her, standing up. I walked over to my husband, grabbing him by his arm, "Let's go play with Hope."

"Please tell me that you can do this," I heard Hayley whisper as I forced Klaus out of the study.

"He's my brother. I'm not gonna stop until he's safe," was Freya's reply.

Klaus wrapped his arm around my shoulder, he diverted our walk to Hope's makeshift room and instead towards the dwindling staircase. I furrowed my brows, letting him lead the way. To my surprise he led me to the bar in the back side of the courtyard. A scoff left my lips as he poured two drinks. "Really?" I questioned.

"Don't you need a drink?" He asked and I frowned.

"No," I said softly, rubbing his back. "I know you're worried, but you need to try to relax. Your anxiety is upsetting everyone. Freya can handle this. If you give her space."

He took two large gulps of his glass of bourbon, "I feel at fault for all of this. I could have taken his place, Danielle."

I shook my head, "And then you'd be the one broken inside a necklace. No. Your kids need you. I need you. Besides, you hold your family together. And if there's anyone we all are going to put our faith in to beat the Hollow, it's you. It's always been you."

He smiled weakly, "I just hope he knows, how much he's meant to me over the countless years. It's not like I ever told him."

I could see his eyes turn glossy as he took a seat at the bar, pulling my between his legs. I sat on his lap, caressing his cheek, "What would you tell him?"