CH. 8

EIGHT:

Friday, January 26th
6:02 PM

• KLAUS •

I stood in the courtyard, nearly ready for tonight. Elijah was supposed to be overseeing things while I was at home with my family. "Ah, you've outdone yourself!" Came a compliment. Speak of the devil.

I put down the fork I was checking was clean and took in my surroundings once more. "I'm inclined to agree," I said. On short notice, I had done an exquisite job. New Orleans themed party in a place of what was once again ruins with half a decade of garbage piled on.

Fleur-de-lis shaped ice sculpture to match a few other decorations, greens and purple beads for streamers, a large masquerade mask as a centerpiece on the balcony where a dozen string of small circular light bulbs dangled to create a canopy, gold table curtains, a few white and purple bouquets, gold utensils and the finest food caterer I could find. "It's such a shame these lovely linens will soon be red with blood," I mused.

"Violence must only be seen as a last resort, it will only weaken our position," Elijah replied.

I turned to face him, "Yes, well, I'm a creature of very specific habits."

"Brother, please, remember that the point of tonight is to create a false sense of security. A little music, a little champagne, some stealthy reconnaissance..." He trailed off, circling me and the table I stood at. "No bloodshed," he added. "Do we understand each other?"

He cracked a half smirk, half grin as he walked backwards, eyes on me. Impressively he stopped at the bar and grabbed a bottle of champagne. Heading over to join him, I retorted, "They threatened me. They threatened my child. Bloodshed is inevitable."

"And how do we protect all your kids from all of this?" He quipped. I opened my mouth to respond but I was at a loss for words. Violence was the last thing I wanted to open the eyes of my innocent children to. I'm pretty sure it goes against everything Danielle would allow. "They worship you, Niklaus. And they must not see the monster."

He was right. "Besides little Adonis, he looks at me like I'm an intruder," I grumbled about my grumpy son. Danielle assured me he was just protective. But he was too young to be the man of the house, or have the attitude. Yet he did.

"Even so," Elijah chuckled, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I sighed, leaning against the bar with my elbow bent to prop my head up. "I do not wish for my children to see me as a monster, but I cannot sit idly by while threats to our family go unanswered," I stated.

"They won't. Now let me do this," he replied. I turned my head to him and raised a brow. It was no secret I was the... messiest of the family. Rebekah's tantrums and Kol's acting out when he felt the family was against him, surely gave me a run for their money. But Elijah? He was the least likely of our siblings to cause a bloody scene. He was more known for breaking bread. But there was no compromise at hand. "Please. And should any turmoil arise, should anyone dare to disrupt our kingdom, let them answer to me."

I studied him for a long time. His gaze unwavering, jaw clenched, and his whole demeanor stoic. He was reassuring me that he could do what needs to be done. However, after what Danielle told me today by the pool, I was weary if he could find ways that would justify the means. Yet at the same time, did I care about the means? I wanted the Hollow and all of it's followers defeated so I can ensure the safety of my family.

Danielle said he was unhinged. I'll be the judge of that. I gave Elijah a confirming nod. He could take the lead. "I'm going to go change," I said, changing the subject and heading to my old room that was supposed to be prepared. In fact, the whole compound was supposed to be professionally cleaned and refurnished back to it's glory, suitable to live in once again.