CH. 5

FIVE:

Wednesday, January 24th
4:55 AM

• KLAUS •

"Our home, once the pride of our family," I sighed, taking in the deterioration and trashing of the compound in which I always loved. The biggest place in the middle of the quarter that I made a home, a century ago. "Now a flophouse," I added in dismay of the sight of it.

"Indeed, the mighty have fallen," Elijah commented from my left, a few steps further into the dark courtyard.

"Where's Vincent?" Hayley questioned, frantic as she rushed between Elijah and I. She ran with Hope cradled in her arms, placing on the semblance of what used to be my nice velvet loveseat.

"Right here," the familiar voice came. The witch coming in from a side entrance, hidden in the shadows. "Where's Danielle?" He questioned, as he came into the light, looking around at the rest of us. None being the one he called a friend.

I sighed, feeling terrible for leaving my wife worried sick and alone. She wanted to be here, I knew that. But... I wasn't going to stay and neither was Hayley. And Danielle made it pretty clear how she feels about leaving our kids alone with any of my siblings. "She's at home with the triplets," I answered him finally.

He shook his head, "Mhm. Alright, well, I kept my word. Now the only question is whether or not you guys are gonna keep yours. As soon as I'm finished healing your kid, you got to leave the city."

"Well, we're not gonna stay, are we? Your city has lost its charm," I responded, glaring at him from across the room. Didn't I just point out my wife and three of my other children were away, out of this cursed city.

"What he means to say is that we're very grateful, just help her and we'll leave," Hayley chimed in as the 'good cop.'

"Just give us what we need, and we will do so, happily," Elijah added.

"Excuse me," Vincent said, stepping around Hayley. Elijah moved back enough so the witch could crouch down in front of my child.

I began to pace, hearing the sound of Vincent clapping softly but at a rapid pace. Along with the sound of him chanting. I needed this work. He said he knew what he was doing. There were other kids he saved.

The chanting lasted all of 90 seconds. Just as I turned around, Vincent was standing up straight again and Hope's gentle voice came, "Mom?"

"That's it. Your little girl's purified," Vincent assured me before heading towards the exit.

"Thank you," I whispered gratefully.

He paused, his wide eyes and intense gaze back on me. He was a force to be reckoned with, his craft I respected. Hell, I almost respected him as a man, but something about him helping to hold me prisoner just made it hard to forgive him or see the same good my wife did. However, Vincent and his power was something I rather have as an ally than an enemy again. And he just saved my daughter, and for that I was thankful. Maybe bygones could be bygones.

"Now look, the only gratitude I need from any of you is seeing you leave the city," Vincent said before heading for the front door this time.

"Go see your daddy," I heard Hayley whisper.

I turned to see her and Hope in the middle of us all. My little girl turned to face me with a hint of a smile. She took the few steps towards me and just before I reached down to hug her a caw came from above and then a thud came.

My eyes widened in surprise as a crow fell dead by mine and Hope's feet. More caws and squats came followed by an overwhelming pitter patter of the black birds falling to their death all around us.