*Chapter 1*

A/N: I felt generous today so here is another chapter! 

--------------------------

*Flashback*

*Third person's pov*

"Nee-san! Nee-san! Do my hair please!" A joyful voice called out. The older girl stoped in her track, and turned around to meet an excited young girl.

"Nee-san! Can braid my hair please?" The younger girl asked, jumping up and down.

"Of course! Anything for you Hanae!" The older girl smiled, bending down to pat Hanae's head.

"Yay! Thank you Kanae Nee-san!" Hanae shouted happily. Kanae giggled and took the little girl's hand and lead her down the hallway. Kanae, gracefully, slide the door open, revealing 3 figures sitting on the floor.

"Ah, Kanae, Hanae! come sit with us." The older woman smiled, and patted the spot next to her, indicating the two girls to sit down. The two then proceeded to sit down next to their mother.

"Ohayo Oto-san (dad)! Shinobu nee-san!" Hanae happily greeted the older man and the short-haired girl.

The older man smiled, "Ohayo Hanae."

"Shinobu, can you do my hair?" Kanae asked, gently, while she braid Hanae's long hair.

"Of course nee-san!" Shinobu replied happily, crawling behind her sister.

"Do you guys want to go outside for a walk?" Their mother asked.

"Dear, don't you think it's too late for that? The sun has al-" Their father had begun to talk when the door crashed into the wall. 

On the other side of the door stood a figure. Everyone in the room was stilled, too shocked to say or do anything. The figure step out of the dark, into the bright room, revealing a monster. It was tall, but skinny, 2 horns grow out from both side of the head, sharp claws at each end of its finger. One second there was only silence, the next second there was blood on the floor, walls and celling. Now they were running down the hall, in attempt to escape the monster. 

"Now you three stay here. We'll distract the monster." Their mother explain, pushing her daughters into the tiny closet. She force a smile despite the agonizing pain from the deep cut in her back.

"We'll come back in just a-" Their father knell down, but then face-planted onto the tatami mat floor. Blood sprayed everywhere, onto the little girl's faces. Everyone stared at the man's lifeless body, eyes widening from horror. Tears filling the three girl's eyes, as their mother fell limply to the floor. The monster stood in front of the tiny closet laughing, as if it was amusing to see the two adults lay next to each other, lifeless.

*End of flashback*

*Hanae's pov*

I braced myself for the incoming attack, I waited for what felt like an eternity. Then I heard Shinobu and Kanae gasped. I slowly turned to look at the monster, or at least the remaining of it. The monster's head was gone, so the most of it's right side. It looked like something had taken a big bite out of the monster, it started disintegrating. A tall and muscular man stepped into view, he was holding a chain with a massive spike ball at one end, and an axe on the other. I gasped, he looked so strong and scary. He gently set the weapon on the floor, and knelled in front of us.

"You three did a great job stalling for time." He smiled and patted our head. He was incredibly gentle for his frame.

"I'm sorry for coming so late, but may your parents rest in peace." He said quietly, then he stood up. I felt the tears building up at my eyes at the reminding of my parent death.

"The kakushi will be coming to clean up your house, and give your parent a proper burial." He bended down and picked up his weapon. Then he turned to leave.

"M-Mister! Wait!" Kanae shouted after him. He turned around to face us once more.

"I-Is there a way for us to be strong like you?" Kanae mumbled, "I want to be strong so I can protect people like you!" I can hear the determination in her voice. 

"Of course there is, but it's a very difficult and challenging process" He warned.

"It doesn't matter how hard it's! I want to protect people from those monster!" Shinobu said confidently.

"Alright, then head to Mount Takao (A/N: This is a real place in Japan! Go visit it if you can! ^v^) and seek a woman that lives at the foot of the mountain. She will train you to be strong like me." The man explained and then left. 

Then at least a dozen people dressed in black uniform swarmed in. They all wore black hats and a black mask that cover at least half of their lower face. One of them took us to a different room to check for injury, or at least that was what they said. But I know the truth, they must be carrying our parents body outside for burial.

I was so mentally worn out, I crawled over to Kanae and snuggled against her chest. Soon I fell asleep.

*Shinobu's pov*

I watch Hanae fell asleep in Kanae's arm, I scooted closer to Kanae.

"Ne Shinobu, promise me that both of us will become strong and protect people from suffering the fate as we did." Kanae said softly, but I could also the determination in her voice, as she held out her pinky finger,

"Okay, but you must promise me the same thing, Nee-san." I agreed, intertwining our pinky finger together. I lean in closer, and rest my head against her shoulder. I felt her arm wrapping around my waist, pulling me in closer. She rested her head on top of mine.

"Let's rest and head to Mount Takao first thing tomorrow." Kanae whispered. I hummed my reply.

"I will become stronger than ever! Not only to protect others, but the only family members I have left!" I thought. I once believed that the road of happiness continued forever and ever into the distance. When it was destroyed, I realized for the first time that it lies upon a thin sheet of glass.

--------------------------

Hey y'll! Srry if this is cringe 😣 but I tried my best, so I hope you guys enjoy! See y'll in the next chapter (っ^▿^)- Author-San

Words: 1018