Chapter 4: My Scar

Sokka's POV

I woke up on the back of Appa. Aang was steering with Katara by his side while Zuko was staring into the ocean below us. "How long was I out for?" I yawned. "About 90 minutes." Zuko replied. "90 minutes!? I thought it was way longer." It was dark now and I could barely see a thing. Our plan is to reach Lilidan Village tonight, a town in the western Earth Kingdom. Once we got there we could take a break. "Your eyes are the same colour of the ocean." Zuko said, still looking down at the water. "Yeah," I quivered. I didn't pack my coat because I assumed that we would all be in the Fire Nation this week. Not on Appa high up in the sky. "You're cold? Aren't you from the Southern Water Tribe?" Zuko remarked sarcastically, taking his eyes off the water to stare at me shivering. "I'm wearing short sleeves okay. It's not like I pump fire through my veins." "That's not how bending works, Sokka." Zuko replied. "My blood isn't ice." Katara laughed entering the conversation. "I don't have ice, fire, rocks, or air stuck in my body, Sokka." Aang added. "Well okay, I'm not a bender, how am I supposed to know how bending works huh?" "It's common sense Sokka, you are supposed to be the smart one here. You should know this." Zuko teased. He then moved right behind me, making my upper back touch his chest. Zuko then put his arms in front of me, one of each side and then lit a huge fire in his hands. "Woah." I said looking at the beautiful orange fire. "Warmer now?" He asked as his breath trickled down my neck. "Um, yeah. This is a lot better." My stomach all of a sudden got tied up in a huge knot. I was now really nervous but I also felt safe and comfortable. It was weird, but really nice at the same time. "I'm sorry that this happened Sokka. I was really looking forward to seeing you and it sucks that this whole Ozai ideal had to happen this week." Zuko whispered in my ear. "It's okay, it wasn't your fault. I'm just glad that at least we are here together. We have been apart for way too long." I whispered back, making Zuko smile a little. My heart skipped a beat when Zuko told me that he was looking forward to seeing me. "Once we rescue Toph we should do something together, just the two of us." I suggested. "Like what?" Zuko asked quietly, "I don't know, maybe a small vacation?" "You think it's a good idea to go on vacation after this?" Zuko asked in an non-judgmental curious tone. "Yeah, I guess the timing isn't the best." "But we should still do something together. How about we visit Ember Island for a full day?" Zuko asked. "Sure that sounds great," I replied now smiling.  I really like Zuko, he's brave, intelligent, kind, and super determined to succeed in everything that he does. I admire him for this and ever since our trip to the Boiling Rock I've always found myself trying to spend more time with him. Zuko is an incredible leader and an amazing friend to have. So I'm really glad that we are getting to do something together, just the two of us. While we were flying I noticed Zuko's arms getting tighter around me and I slowly leaned farther back into Zuko until our heads touched.

Katara's POV

As we were flying over the west coast of the Earth Kingdom I noticed a huge crowd of torches. "Aang, what do you think that is?" I asked, pointing down at the crowd. "I don't know, but I have a feeling that we should check it out." We flew down closer to the crowd and heard "Long live Fire Lord Ozai!" Aang quickly put on his hat. I turned around to face Sokka and I saw that he and Zuko were fast asleep in each other's arms. "Sokka, Zuko wake up. I found something." Zuko quickly opened his eyes while Sokka was rubbing his eyes, yawning. "You hear that?" I asked them. "It's a protest in favour of Ozai." Zuko replied. Aang quickly landed Appa and told him to sit still. We swiftly put on our disguises and joined the crowd.

"The Fire Nation was winning the 100 year war until Fire Lord Zuko turned on us all. He chose his friendship with the Avatar and the Water Tribes peasants over his nation." The crowd started booing. Gosh the stories that these people will come up with just to justify their actions. I thought.  "This land used to belong to the Fire Nation. I am as much Fire Nation as the people born in the capital. The Earth Kingdom doesn't know how to function as a society, the Air Nomads didn't even have a military, the Southern Water Tribe is just full of savages, and the Northern Water Tribe is just full of cowards. They can't lead themselves. They need order, they need the Fire Nation. We can't just sit there and watch our world become peaceful and weak. We need to become stronger, we need Fire Lord Ozai! He has the guts to save humanity, while Fire Lord Zuko doesn't, he's just a traitor!" The crowd started to cheer, this speech just made me sick to my stomach. "While Fire Lord Zuko runs around with that treacherous Avatar and their horrible plans for a connected society we have been preparing on how to save our nation. Today at the Fire Festival we had an amazing victory. The time hiding in the shadows is over! Brothers and Sisters I urge you to come with The New Ozai Society in four days to Port Lizhou by Full Long Bay to witness our greatest feat to be! The revolution has begun!" The crowd started cheering, screaming "All hail Fire Lord Ozai, all hail Fire Lord Ozai!" I turned to face Zuko, none of us could imagine how much support The New Ozai Society truly had. Sokka quickly grabbed my and Zuko's hand. "Follow me," He whispered. Sokka was following the man who gave the speech. He walked to an underground cave and we followed him. The speaker walked towards an old man sitting down on a rock. We hid behind some boulders so they wouldn't see us. "Everything is going to plan my brother. The Fire Nation descendants seem to be supporting our cause. How's everything going with that blood bender? We are going to need her for our plan to work." Blood bender? I thought. Fear instantly rose up in my gut. Blood bending is a very dangerous tool, I've only used it twice and hated it each time. It really messes with your head. "It's going well, she has already met Katara and her brother. They don't even have a clue." "Good, good." I've met this bender before, who is she? "The hard part is going to get her mother to agree with these terms. Hama hates the Fire Nation." Hama has a daughter? And she's a blood bender! This isn't good. I looked over at Aang and Sokka, they seemed to be having the same thoughts of me. "It doesn't matter what Hama thinks, we only need her daughter's loyalty." The speaker replied. "That's true, however how do we know for sure that her intentions are pure?" "That's your problem to solve. You better make sure she is taken care of before Lizhou, we are running out of time." The speaker said impatiently. He then got up and left the old man in the cave. After a minute we quickly got out of our hiding spot and exited the cave. "Look! It's Fire Lord Zuko!" A huge man with a beard yelled. I quickly opened my water pouch preparing for another fight, and this time we would win.