Chapter 13: The March To War

Zuko's POV

I couldn't sleep at all, I kept on picturing Sokka with Azula. Tied up in chains pinned to the ground. Within five days two people I care about got kidnapped under my supervision. I really hope that Sokka is alright, I am just so terrified about what I might discover tomorrow. Usually when I feel like this I would go run and talk to Sokka however obviously I can't right now. I didn't get any sleep tonight, and when I did I would just wake up from the nightmare that would be played on repeat. I was running towards The New Ozai Society and I saw Azula holding onto Sokka's body with tears falling out of his eyes. I ran up to her begging her to give me Sokka, but instead she shot lightning at him. Sokka's lifeless body falls into my arms, I look up and Azula then stabs me in my heart, cackling. I slowly die and the last thing I hear is Sokka's spirit says, "Why couldn't you save me Zuko? I needed you"

I got out of bed very early in the morning. "Fire Lord Zuko, you have a message from King Bumi." I thanked the maid and took the letter from her. King Bumi said the Uncle Iroh has contacted him last night about what is going on at Lu Ten Valley tonight. He says that him along with the other Kyoshi Warriors are going to be there by the Northern entrance of the valley. I quickly wrote King Bumi explaining my plan to him and then gave it to a messenger hawk to send it to the King. I then decided to walk towards the kitchen. I had thousands of soldiers to feed for today's mission. "Fire Lord Zuko has there been a change in plans?" The head cook asked me, "No there hasn't, just checking to see how breakfast and lunch are going." "We should be ready in half an hour." I nodded and walked out of the kitchen. Soon everyone got up and we made our way to the dining table. We had all the soldiers eat away from us, in case one of them was spying for Azula and The Warden. I sat beside Katara who was beside Aang who was beside Toph, we started eating fast, the faster that we eat the sooner we can get moving. I noticed Chief Hakoda sitting across from Katara. My mom gave him a dirty look and sat beside me, I was thankful that my mom supported Sokka and I being together. Even though we didn't talk about it I could tell that she was happy for me. I pulled out my scrolls of Lu Ten Valley and started explaining to everyone the plan I came up with. "There will be two main sectors, and six total. We will have 30 war balloons in the air which Aang will lead on Appa. We will put 20 000 soldiers and mechanics on these ships. Aang can you be responsible for controlling this sector? It's one of the main ones." "You can count on me Zuko!" He replied, "Ok then we will have four ground sections. 50% of the warriors will be in the center section ran by Katara, Toph, and I. 25% of the soldiers will be on the western hill on top of the valley lead by my Uncle and the last 25% percent will be led by Chief Hakoda on the eastern side. That should give us 40 000 soldiers on the ground, 20 000 with me." I explained, "That sounds great however what about the other 50 000 soldiers and the northern front?" Katara asked. "30 000 of them will stay at the Capitol in case The New Ozai Society tries attacking the innocent civilians here and the other 20 000 will be in the last section. North of the Valley, this morning I got a letter from King Bumi and Suki. They want to come to help, they will lead the last section in case Azula tries to escape with Sokka or Tylee." "What about me Zuko?" My mom asked, "I think you should stay back, Azula might try to attack you if she sees you." "I'm not staying back, I am her mother after all. Maybe I can talk some sense to her." "Ursa I don't think Azula is one to be rationed with, someone needs to stay behind and watch over the palace." Chief Hakoda told her and she gave him a death stare. "Ikem and Mai can do that." She responded coldly. "How about Ursa goes with Aang? Azula will be on the ground, this way Ursa can still help without putting herself in danger." Katara suggested. I nodded. After breakfast we went to make sure all of our equipment was ready to go. I sent out Iroh to contact Mai, within thirty minutes everyone was ready for take off. I already assigned each person what sector they will be in and what their main job will be. "Everyone listen up! No one is to attack The New Ozai Society until I give the signal!" I yelled at the crowd of soldiers, "I wish you all the best today and thank you for coming to help us ensure world peace. Today we will be victorious!" The crowd cheer and we began our march.