Chapter 7: Cabbages

Zuko's POV

 The beds in Omashu are surprisingly really soft yet I couldn't sleep, I had too much on my mind. We have two more days to reach Toph, and Lizhou is only half a day away from here ; everything seems to be going to plan, so I have no idea why I'm still doubting everything. I just feel so guilty about the whole festival, it was my fault that Toph was captured and if anything happened to her I wouldn't forgive myself. So that was on my mind along with Sokka. I was going insane thinking about him, he is all that's on my mind right now. I would've never expected that I would have fallen so hard for him. He's a guy! And he's Sokka! I know Aang said that it was normal, but was it? I've never heard of this before so it feels weird. But it also feels so right at the same time. Every second of every day I just want to hold him, touch him, make sure that he feels alright. I was never like this when I was with Mai, her skin never felt electric the way Sokka's does. I so badly wanted to kiss him and tell him how I feel, but I can't. And this was killing me.

While I was trying to sleep I heard this muffled sound, I opened my eyes and looked around the room and saw Sokka crying. Oh gosh, is he okay? What happened?  I walked over to Sokka a little too fast. "What's wrong?" I asked him. He quickly whipped the tears from his eyes, "Nothing, I feel great. Better than ever!" He said with a fake smile. I raised my eyebrow at him and he sighed. "It's a long story, don't worry though. I'll be fine." "You want to talk about it?" I asked, "Not really. You wouldn't understand, no one here would. Anyways it's not even that important, I'll be fine by tomorrow." I wanted him to tell me but I decided not to pressure him. We were silent for a while, "You should get some sleep, Zuko. We have a long day ahead of us." Sokka said, finally breaking the silence, "I can't sleep." I replied. "Me neither." I looked over at Sokka and noticed tears streaming down his face. "Gosh, it's so embarrassing crying. I don't know why I'm so emotional today." Sokka tried to joke it off. I didn't know what to say so I just grabbed him and hugged him. "I want to tell someone, I really do... I just can't!" Sokka said while crying. I was silent, still holding onto him, "I just feel so lost, useless, and alone." I really wished I knew what was going on with Sokka. He is usually so cheerful and upbeat. "I'm not sure why you feel this way Sokka, but you aren't useless or alone. You are very important to me and I'll always be here for you." I finally told him. "Am I?" He asked. I paused, "Yes you are. You mean so much to me. When Kenla froze you...It, it was the worst moment of my life. I never ever want to see anything like that ever happen to you again." I couldn't believe that I was actually telling Sokka this. "Once we get back to the Fire Nation, can you teach me how to Swordbend like you?" Sokka asked, "I'll teach you how to sword duel." I smiled, making Sokka laugh a little. We were both quiet now for a moment. "For the record Zuko, you are also very important to me and I really care about you" I was? Sokka really cares about me? I held him a little tighter before letting go. 

Sokka's POV

I am so frustrated with myself! How could I cry in front of Zuko like that? It definitely wasn't manly. Gosh I probably looked so weak in front of him, I thought. Crying two nights in a row in his arms! But at least Zuko didn't really seem to mind. I couldn't get Zuko's words out of my head, that I mean so much to him, that the worst moment of his life was when he thought he lost me. My heart jumped all the way to the sun and back within a second. The way he said that while holding me, damn. I wanted to kiss him right then and there. I couldn't care less if it was normal or not, I just want to be his. I moved closer inside Zuko's arms. He had decided to stay the night with me again, and I was really thankful for it. I just didn't want to be alone. This is our third night in a row sleeping with each other, that had to mean something right? Katara mentioned how she thinks that Zuko likes me, and although I really want it to be true, I wasn't sure myself. What if he's just being a supportive friend? But yet again the hand on my chest would suggests otherwise.