part 27 - ending.

〜

"the fireworks are starting soon..."

y/n's head immediately titled towards his side, "fireworks?"

receiving a mere nod as a response, she felt scaramouche's grip on her hand tighten as he practically dragged her to a spot from where the view of the fireworks would be most visible. there weren't a lot many people, which created a quiet ambience, ideal for both y/n and him.

it seems everyone except y/n was aware there was going to be a display of fireworks as she observed people gathering around together, impatiently waiting for the sky to lit up.

a countdown to 3 was done by one of the workers, as the previous gloomy sky was now surrounded by colourful fireworks launching off. the colours made it look like a painting above, as it complimented the entirety of the cityscape. truthfully, y/n never got to witness a fireworks show in person, as during events like new year's, she rather preferred enjoying inside the comfort of her home.

her eyes focused on the beautiful scenery up ahead, while scaramouche's gaze now shifted from the fireworks to her. her eyes reflected the fireworks going off in the night sky, which made it look like her eyes were shining, quite literally.

his gaze turned into a longing stare. he no longer cared how beautiful the night sky looked, flooded with continuous splashes of bright colours. in his eyes, he was already looking at the most beautiful view — her. as much as it sounded cliché, it was true. it felt like yesterday when he talked to her for the first time, completely unaware of the fact that she would be the very same girl who would keep his heart accompanied for the rest of his life.

the beating of his heart escalated the moment she felt his stare and glanced back at him. "what's wrong?" she smiled.

"i love you..." he suddenly blurted, but the second he came back to his right senses and realised what he just said, his entire mind went into a panic mode.

y/n was taken aback by his straightforwardness. a pink hue suddenly flushed on her cheeks, feeling a rapid beating in her heart followed by a familiar feeling of comfort. her eyes never left his, as she was now completely turned towards him.

silence engulfed in their own little world, the sound of the fireworks and the cheering of the crowd became almost faint to both of their ears. y/n suddenly a pair of hands intertwine her own, her eyes slightly widened at his gesture, as she anticipated for him to say something.

"i know a lot of unfortunate events happened in the past, but for some reason, i can't seem to ever get my mind off from you... it's crazy." he exhaled, pausing for a brief moment.

"it's selfish of me to want you back, after how i've treated you... but i can't help it. i tried so much, and yet these feelings never went away... you always made me feel safe, y/n."